Help With Fondant Ball Border

Decorating By Sweet-Kakes Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 1:56am by Mercedes0613

Sweet-Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Kakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 8

Can someone tell me how to make the fondant balls for a border that don't have a crack? I did a cake last week, and cut circles out with my fondant circle cutter, rolled them into small balls (all the same size), but most of them seemed to have a crack or seam. I see the pics on this site and they all look perfect. Is there a secret? I have another cake this w/e, and I want the ball border to be better than the last one. Thanks for any help!!

7 replies
jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 8

Try adding some shortening to your fondant. Also make sure it's kneaded together very well. This should help. thumbs_up.gif
HTH

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 8

I use a measuring spoon (1/2 tsp.) to make fondant balls so that they're all the same size. I put fondant into the spoon, use my thumb to level, then run my thumb around the edge so the spoon cuts away the excess.
I then remove and roll into a ball.

I also use shortening and I've never had cracks, but it's possible that because the balls are somewhat formed by the shape of the spoon and don't need much rolling, that may help to reduce cracks. Not sure.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 8

I agree that shortening will help. Usually you get cracks if the fondant is a little dry, sometimes I head my fondant in the microwave for like 15 seconds and it helps to bind better with the kneading/sculpting.. icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 8

As jjkarm said....Crisco and knead well

uabcjgrad2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uabcjgrad2006 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 8

shortening helps, but I rolll mine into a "snake" and with a sharp knife or kitchen shears cut them off in uniform lengths. Those little balls can be a pain sometimes! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 8

aine2 has a video on this on you tube... besides , having a little shortening worked into the fondant or gumpaste... just work it in good... then roll the ball one way and the roll it the opposite way. the heat of your fingers or palm of hand , also helps with this . but look at anie2 video. hth

Mercedes0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mercedes0613 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #8 of 8

Have you tried using a mold? I just ordered one and haven't tried it but it looks easy. Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%