Desperately Need Your Best Rose Bc Recipe

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 11:59pm by Deb_

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 9

I am in desperate need of you best BC frosting recipe for making roses. I am taking the wilton classes now and Wed is the final class. The "stiff" frosting our instructor has given us is NOT stiff enough. thumbsdown.gif Has 3:1 butter/crisco in it and I feel it is too soft and as you hold the bag....of course the butter warms up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have looked at the many BC recipes here, but how do I know if it would make good roses???? icon_cry.gif

Thanks for the great advice in advance!!

8 replies
Sweet-Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Kakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 9

I took the Wilton classes, too, and found that the recipe in the course 1 book is good for bc roses if you do the stiffer version. It calls for 1 cup shortening, 1 tsp flavoring, 2 tbs milk or water, 1 lb powered sugar, 1 tbs meringue powder, pinch of salt. That is the stiff version, and can be thinned 1 tbs at a time. No exactly delicious, but great for class! Good luck, and have fun! thumbs_up.gif

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 9

I use the wilton one too with the crisco. Its in book 1. I use 1 tsp of vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond so it tastes better. I also just use water, no milk. Good Luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 9

this is a really good recipe for flowers.. got it from american cake deocrating magazine some years ago... it is... 3/4 c crisco.... 1 tsp. vanilla..... 1/4 tsp, salt.. 1 lb. powder sugar... 2 1/2 T. water... beat crisco, vanilla, salt.. until smooth.. add little powder sugar... add water.. then rest of powder sugar. beat on low 5-7 minutes.. the wilton class buttercream..not the one with butter.. is also good... it makes stiff... if too stiff for you... add just a little water... beating it 5-7 min. , makes it smoother and makes nicer roses.. hth

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 9

I find that some people just naturally have "hot " hands and this tends to make the frosting too warm to make nice roses that hold up. You can try placing the bag of icing on a ziploc baggie which has ice in it, every now and then between decorating to keep the frosting stiff. Maybe that will help .

Carol

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 9

I too found out that it was diffcult with the recipe listed in your course book, the only that was I was able to do the bc rose was by using the already made Wilton icing. It was the perfect consistency for me personally, I haven't tried anything else but would love to hear everyone's opinion. Good luck!

icer101

I'm keeping this recipe and trying it out. thanks

AfordRN Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the great info. I will make your recipe tonight and practice, practice, practice!!!

AfordRN Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all the great info. I will make your recipe tonight and practice, practice, practice!!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 9

I'm one with very warm hands also. I keep those blue refreezable ice things in the freezer all year long. (You know the ones you use in coolers) Whenever I have a lot of roses or BC piping to do I take out one of the frozen blue things and lay my icing bags on top of them in between decorating, if I feel them getting too warm. They firm up really quick.

I have better luck using an all shortening BC for my roses. If it's too thick, don't add more liquid, add more shortening little bits at a time. You'll get much better results with BC that has less liquid in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%