Can You Pipe On Real Ribbon?

Decorating By freddyfl Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 7:34pm by megal80

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 10

My sister wants a navy ribbon around her wedding cake tiers. I was going to do it in fondant, but I am having a horrible time getting the color to be navy. So my questions are:
1. Is it possible to pipe on real ribbon once it is on the cake?
2. If yes, what would be better buttercream or royal?
3. How do you attatch a real ribbon to a cake so that it stays?

Thank you thank you thank you for any help you can be.

I am panicking here....I even looked at safeway to see how much it would cost me just to buy her a cake...but then saw the price and told myself that I can do this. The wedding is on Saturday by the way.....uggh.

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 10

To attach the ribbon, make sure the sides of cake are straight up and down (use a bench scraper to smooth the icing and this will make it straight ... no angles and no slopes. The slopes are what causes gaps in the ribbon when it's wrapped). I attach the two ends with a blop of ribbon in the back.

Are you putting an icing dot border at the base or piping scrolls or something on the ribbon? I've done both. I would recommend you coat the ribbon in crisco to discolor the whole thing first. Careful ..... when crisco-ing navy blue ribbon, it can turn black (guess how I found out?). So pick up a few shades of blue to experiment with to see which one gives you the final color you're looking for.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 10

You can pipe royal on the ribbon & it won't have grease spots.

Glad to know that tip indydebi

freddyfl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:09am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I attach the two ends with a blop of ribbon in the back.

With a blop of ribbon or a blop of frosting? Thank you for your help.......I will have to purchase a bench scraper it seems. =)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:04am
post #5 of 10

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif A blop of ribbon! Even *I* would like to see how I do that! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

A blop of icing! Yes, ICING!! icon_lol.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 10

When I worked at the bakery we always used a weatherproof-type ribbon on the cakes, rather than a satin ribbon. They don't soak up grease so they're good to pipe directly onto. You won't be able to find it in a lot of colors, though, so when places like Hobby Lobby have a good selection of it on sale (it's usually near the floral department), I stock up.

HTH,
Deanna

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 10

How about using a stencil in the exact color of icing that you need? you can hold the stencil up against the cake and gently scrap the icing on?...can be just in a ribbon form...or something with actual designs...Just another idea

lbarboza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbarboza Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 10

sorry but I dont understand what is "blop" I looking in the dictionary and I dont find it.... but I think that is a little bit of icing?? it works good in cloth ribbon??

freddyfl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for all the replies and the good ideas. My sis is going to buy the satin ribbon she wants and I told her to go a shade lighter than she wants it to look since I will crisco it. I have a stamp I am going to use to stamp onto the ribbon....does anyone know if they make stamp pads using white food coloring, or will I have to sort of make my own up?

megal80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megal80 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 10

I have a similar question. How would you go about attatching a satin ribbon around mmf? Doesn't seem like it should get spots since there is no grease in mmf, right? Can I just attatch it with a "blob" icon_smile.gif in the back where the ribbon joins. Would that be enough to hold it in place?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%