Cool Whip Frosting??

Baking By mellee Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 10:21am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:55pm
post #31 of 40

Kim50, no this is not the same as the dried powder topping mixes (i.e., DreamWhip in the U.S.), although I hear the products are made by the same manufacturer. I did an experiment with the DreamWhip as well, and while I liked it, I found that it yielded less and deteriorated quicker than the Cool Whip recipe, i.e., a few days as opposed to a week or so.

Howdy again Cupcakeshoppe lady! icon_smile.gif As a matter of fact I DID do an experiment on the mock whipped frosting recipe, and I made different variations of it as well. Here's what I can tell you:

First, DEFINITELY use a blender for the milk and flour before cooking. It only takes half a minute or so but makes a BIG difference in smoothness. Second, after the mixture thickens on the stove, immediately scrape it into a bowl taking as much of the "custard" but leaving behind any potential lumps on the bottom of the pan. Third, as soon as you scrape it into a bowl, place a sheet of plastic wrap over the bowl and flatten the wrap down onto the surface of the custard, pushing out any air. This will stop a skin from forming, which can ruin your frosting. Fourth, use powdered sugar instead of regular sugar, even though most recipes call for regular sugar. You will have to whip it much less this way, and it will still come out delicious. Fifth, I've found that the frosting colors easily, although I haven't tried any intense or dark colors yet. Sixth, I tried this recipe with cornstarch instead of flour, but I thought the flour one came out better.

I left this mock whipped frosting out on the counter for days (can't remember how many but a lot), and it was still pretty good for a LONG time. It didn't go bad at all I guess because the milk was joined to the flour and boiled and also the sugar acted as a preservative. I really like this recipe because sometimes I just want something less sweet, and this is PERFECT.

If anyone else is interested in the mock whipped frosting recipe, here it is with the flavors I have found most delicious:

MOCK WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING

1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp butter flavor
1/4 tsp almond extract

Blend milk and flour together in a blender for a minute or so or less. (This is a very important step!) Cook milk and flour over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until very thick. Remove from heat and dump into a bowl. If there are any hard pieces on the spoon or in the bottom of the pan, discard them. You want a smooth mixture in the bowl. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the bowl and flatten the wrap down onto the surface of the custard, pushing out any air. Cool to room temperature (must be cool!). Cream the sugar and shortening with the flavors for a few minutes or so on 4 or so, scraping down a couple of times. Add the custard into the mixer and stir for a bit. Then mix on high. Keep blending on high, stopping periodically to scrape off the paddle and scrape down the bowl. Continue to mix until the sugar is completely dissolved and you have the fluffiness you want. This recipe does not crust.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:45am
post #32 of 40

thanks mellee for all the info. I just made this again the other day for banana cupcakes and it is just divine. my DH loved it so much eventhough he's not a big fan of frosting. I haven't tried the powdered sugar yet but i will definitely next time.

i wonder how much your recipe yields? like what if i wanna use it for an entire cake? it really reminds me of SMBC for some reason.

mellee Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:29am
post #33 of 40

You're welcome, Cupcakeshoppe! icon_smile.gif For an entire cake, I think I would double it. I made a little 6" cake with one recipe, but anything larger would need the recipe doubled. It IS tasty, isn't it? Too bad you can't get Cool Whip where you are. I think you would really like it in the recipe I gave in the beginning of this thread, and I now have a version that adds a bit of cream cheese for even more "oomph." icon_biggrin.gif One recipe makes a bunch, and it only takes 5 minutes. Gotta love it! Funny thing is, Cool Whip on its own is rather bland (some people find it gross!) and lifeless. A few extra ingredients really seem to transform it!

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:16pm
post #34 of 40

Thanks Mellee for sacrificing yourself so the rest of us can learn!!!!! That was a really great post

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:36pm
post #35 of 40

mellee, i know icon_sad.gif i actually found something like pastry pride that's frozen but it's a 3-hour drive and I don't think it can survive that long journey and it's just too pricey for me. I like the mock whipped frosting recipe and i will try yours. i actually do the same things you do. i let the milk/flour mixture cool in the fridge. i usually do this while the cupcakes are baking, so when the cupcakes are baked and cooled, and i start making my frosting, the milk/flour mixture is just right. icon_smile.gif

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:58am
post #36 of 40

Thanks for the great experiment. I cannot wait to try your recipies out!

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:57am
post #37 of 40

Thanks mellee for the mock whipped frosting recipe, it was excellent! I made it for my own anniversary cake. And it does taste a little bit like cool whip. icon_wink.gif

mellee Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #38 of 40

You're welcome! I'm glad you all like these different recipes. It all started because I couldn't get Rich's Bettercreme where I am, but now I'm pretty happy with everything else I've tried anyhow. Between the Cool Whip recipe and the Mock Whipped Cream recipe and plain old buttercream, I've got plenty of different frosting choices. icon_smile.gif

bobbieb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobbieb Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:55pm
post #39 of 40

I make the mock whipped cream all the time and I have found that if you beat the butter/shortning/sugar mixture for 4 minutes (scraping bowl as needed) on high, then add the pudding mixture (flour/milk) and beat that for 4 minutes on high. I have whoopie pies filled with these on my counter right now and they have been there a week and my icing hasn't broken down yet. It does pipe, but I have found that it needs to be refrigerated in order to keep the shape. I have made this with granulated sugar and powdered sugar. I like the powdered sugar the best (doesn't get grainy).

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:21am
post #40 of 40

I'm gonna do a chocolate version of the mock whipped cream frosting and am gonna use powdered sugar in it for the first time. I'll post the results here. so excited haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%