Another Pricing Question

Decorating By kels_bells Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 1:28am by kels_bells

kels_bells Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 8

Hey CCers
A friend sent me this pic from pink cake box. She would like me to do this design but incorporate different animals. The top cake will be white with fresh strawberries and cream and the bottom choclate with crushed oreo. it will be covered in cream cheese icing with fondant. Any ideas to what to charge? Also the first teir looks quite tall what size should I use?
LL

7 replies
cylstrial Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 8

That cake looks like a 6 and 9 inch to me. They probably used 4 layers of cake with filling in between. Super cute cake!! Unfortunately, I can't help with the pricing...but you should charge a good amount because there are 4 intricate animals to make.

Good luck! Hopefully, someone else will come around and answer your pricing question.

FromScratch Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 8

It looks like a 5 over an 8 to me, and I'd charge $125 for the cake and $15 each for the smaller figures and $30 for the topper (animal and stars). That's lots of work.

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 8

It's just too touchy sometimes to give pricing advice anymore, ain't it? I dunno. I guess probably about $125..36 servings, $3.50/svg...maybe a bit more depending on the animals?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 8

i agree with jkalman on pricing.

i might say its a 6/9 hard to tell.

adding torting will add height, they also might have put in 1/2 foam core for the top cake......

FromScratch Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 8

I don't think that the top tier is taller... it just looks that way because the diameter is almost the same as the height. It's a perception issue. A cake that is 10" around and 4" tall will look shorter than a cake that is 4" around and 4" tall because there is a bigger size difference between the diameter and the height. icon_smile.gif

I will say that if someone wants a custom made fondant figure they are going to have to pay for it. I don't spend hours making something to not be compensated for it. If they want to go cheaper they can get toys. icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:42am
post #7 of 8

yep yep jkalman!

also it helps with the angle of the photography.

amen to getting paid for the time it takes to make something!

kels_bells Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:28am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much ladies. I never know how to charge especially nowadays with things as they are but on the flip side we work so hard on these cakes. Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%