Luster Dust

Decorating By cserwa Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 2:03am by cserwa

cserwa Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 10

How difficult is it to use? I'd like to "paint" the pages of a book cake in order to make it look older and draw out the lines of the pages, but I've never used it before. Do I mix it with anything? Is there a good brand or technique? Anyone have a good tutorial? TIA!!!

9 replies
pipe-dreams Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 10

I am using some for the first time this week, so i am interested to know as well. I have seen people say mix it with everclear or vodka so it doesn't clump.

vickymacd Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 10

I'm trying some as well tonight. I have to have silver color. If I weren't so lazy, I'd get out my spraygun.

The trick too is, if you need a color such as silver, start with a grey fondant. Makes it easier.

As far as using vodka, just don't water it down too much. I tried this before and no matter how many coats I put on the fondant, it was still watery looking.

confectioneista Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 10

Use clear alcohol like vodka or gin or you can use pure lemon extract (which is mostly alcohol). The alcohol dries fast and doesn't leave a "watermark".

brincess_b Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 10

you can also brush it on dry, but it gives it a different look, so you might want to experiment, and see which look suits your project.
xx

cserwa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #6 of 10

But do you just paint it on with a small painter's brush? Is it okay to pain on buttercream? I don't know if I just can't picture this correctly or what, but it seems like it would smear everything...

confectioneista Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:37am
post #7 of 10

I've only painted on fondant. Have no idea about painting on BC. You certainly would have to paint it on dry but I suppose the BC would have to be very smooth so the luster dust doesn't look clumpy. As for the paint brushes, I know Michael's has a set of brushes in their cake decorating area.

cserwa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #8 of 10

Thank you! I will definitely look there. Has anyone painted on buttercream or are all of the cakes that I see use luster dust fondant cakes?

vickymacd Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:01am
post #9 of 10

I'm sure most of the luster dust cakes are fondant. That's the easiest.
BC would be pretty difficult as the brush might jam in the frosting. The easiest way to paint on BC is with an airbrush. But even with that, you have to be careful not to blow away the frosting.

cserwa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #10 of 10

soooooooooooooooooo much to learn! LOL. One day I'll quit reading about all of this stuff and actually do it all! Thank you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%