Sold Out Completely In Less Than 1 Day!

Business By cakesdivine Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm by teenteen

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 18

I am so excited and relieved!

I began selling my cakes from a local upscale convenience store that has a deli inside it. My cake book is there with self serve orderforms and I have received a few cake orders from that.

I started week one with 6 whole cakes (4 quarter sheets, 2 dessert 8" 2 layer rounds) to go in the display case. None of them sold & I had to donate to a local home for wayward girls. So I decided to do slices, I took 12 slices each week for 3 weeks straight and first week only 3 sold, then the next week 8 sold, and this last week 8 sold, so ended up again trashing any profits.

Since they have a huge breakfast traffic, I decided to make eclairs, they're cheap to make and really fast too.

I sent a dozen up yesterday morning, I went in this morning expecting maybe one or two gone, but to my surprize ALL WERE GONE! I asked the lady behind the deli counter what happened, she said they were gone before 11 AM yesterday! YIPPEE!!

I wish someone would have called me yesterday so I could have made more last night! So tonight I will be making 2 doz eclaires and 1 doz cream puffs (just to see how those go). If those keep selling, then I will start offering gourmet donuts and danishes to the mix.

whoo hoo! icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 18

Congratulations!!! That is so exciting!!!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 18

That's great news. It's only going to keep going uphill from here.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 18

congrats!

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 18

cCongratulations!!!! That is awesome!!!! You are on your way!!!!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 18

Great! I'm very happy for you!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 18

what an inspiration! Never give up, find out what the customer wants and exceed their expectations!

I just started making cakes for a nearby diner type restaurant and I will be watching your progress as I try to find ways to market my cakes, as well! Good luck and thank you for posting!

nanny6sap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny6sap Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 18

Congrat's. Do you have an eclair recipe you would like to share. Mine always seems to dry icon_sad.gif

cakesdivine Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 18

I actually use Emeril Lagasse's recipe for Pate A Choux, but add an additional tablespoon of sugar to the dough as I like mine a little sweeter. I got it off the Food Network site. It is an amazingly easy dough to make and very quick to make too! But, it says it yields 40 mini eclairs...I could only get 10 - 4.5 inch sized eclairs from the recipe so those minis must only be an inch and a half long!

Edited to add. My filling is a mixture of Vanilla custard and my super buttery buttercream icing, it is so yummy! The buttercream gives the custard a firmer texture. For my cream puff I mix my buttercream with whipping cream and just dust with powdered sugar. I top my eclairs with ganache then garnish with a star rosette of my BC and a marachino cherry.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 18

Book? What book?

nanny6sap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny6sap Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 18

Thank you. I'm headed there now. Since my dh & co-workers are my test crew they should be happy. I hope!

cakesdivine Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 18

My Decopac "The Magic of Cakes" book with a few photos of designs of my own stuck in the back.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:29pm
post #13 of 18

Cakesdivine--please post pictures. The eclairs sound incredible!!! I love the idea of combining buttercream with the other filling that you mentioned. Can't wait to have my friends try that sometime.

Again congrats on your success.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:34pm
post #14 of 18

Cool thanks.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:46pm
post #15 of 18

Big Whoo Hoo! Congrats to you! party.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:55pm
post #16 of 18