61 Chevy Impala

Decorating By mijogian Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm by mijogian

mijogian Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 4

My dads 60th bday is coming. He restores old cars as a hobby.So my mom asked me to make one of his cars he has now. he has a 61 implala. the only thing is I have never carved a car. I am preety sure I will screw it up. Any tips on the best way to carve it.

3 replies
stephaniescakenj Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 4

use a really firm cake. I actually just made a corvette in a class this weekend using kakeladi's WASC recipe. I filled and froze it the night before and it carved perfectly. I found it easiest to have tons of pictures in front of me before I started carving. Pics of the hood, the bumpers, the way the doors and top curved. I started with the hood, mine angled up some on the sides so there was quite a bit of detail to include there, then I moved on to the top and worked my way around to the back. I got the general shape and then started to do the detail carving like how the doors curved in and the hood where the headlights were was really slim and sleek. After everything was carved, I carved the whole underneath of the car in so it looked like it was off the ground even though it wasn't and then I cut out the wheel wells and just cleaned it up. I have to say it was one of the easiest cakes I've made. I had it all carved and coverd and most of the details done by the time class was over in 4 hours. It's not the greatest car ever made but considering this was my first carved cake, I'm pretty happy with the results.
LL

annez Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 4

I did a '35 Chevrolet for my dad's birthday a few months ago. I'm really not good at freehanding things, so I printed off a bunch of pictures (like stephanecakenj said) and did a bunch of measuring...then I multiplied to make a scale/ratio for the cake measurements (how wide the fenders were in ratio to the entire car, etc). It ended up being a lot of math, but I'm proud to say that the shape turned out REALLY well-- in spite of my not being a good artist/carver. (I used a paring knife to carve poundcake.)

(I'll try to attach a pic...it's not the best picture, and I decided after I made it that I could have chosen something better to ice it in than the stars, but at least you get an idea)
LL

mijogian Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for all the ideas. I also have been reading about carving. Some people say to use a template. I was wondering is there a web site I can find car templates on. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%