What Do You Use For Display Cupcakes? Styrofoam?real Cake?

Business By kettlevalleygirl Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 5:42am by kettlevalleygirl

kettlevalleygirl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 10

I am getting ready to start teaching decorating classes this spring, I was wondering what people use for display cupcakes, styrofoam, seems to be too light, and difficult to get that small size cut.
Or do you just make a cake and decorate them and let them just get old??

9 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 10

I was thinking of pouring plaster of paris or something like that into the papers to see if that would work. I think the heaviness would actually help since I have a heck of a time getting my cake dummies from sliding all over the place when I try and decorate! icon_smile.gif

kettlevalleygirl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 10

Hey, that's not a bad idea, I remember covering the dummy cakes I made, and how hard it was to work with the lightness!!
I am from the dental world, so maybe I will go to my old office and buy some dental stone.
Anybody else out there??
What do they use in shops, for display?

OhMyGanache Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 10

I bought some uniced cupcakes from a local grocery store (I figured they would last longer with the preservatives and whatnot) and decorated them up. They dried out and got hard, but haven't gotten moldy or anything and I've had them for almost a year now. (Gross, huh?)

kettlevalleygirl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks OhMy, I do think it is gross!! but I really can't think of anyother way, I think the plaster/stone idea, will be too heavy.
I have a cake mix kicking around, I think I will do that, they probably have preservatives in it.
I just want to be able to do all the things, as an example for the classes. I could put them in the furnace room to dry out, first so that might inhibit any bad stuff growing!!!

Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 10

I have used plaster of paris.

I also used spackle instead of frosting. I thinned it out to frost with and it worked just like thin consistancy frosting. Then I altered it just a bit to get the consistancy I needed for all other techniques.

If I remember right I added some Wilton color gel to color it and it worked just fine. (This was about 10 years back)

I didn't want to use real frosting because of mold and spoilage issues so I figured I'd give the spackle a try and it worked. It also didn't fade as fast and held color better than the display cakes my coworkers made with royal icing.

francescakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 10

There are cupcake dummies but I don't know if I can mention who sells them?

kettlevalleygirl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 10

you could PM me, thanks!

sweetcakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:10am
post #9 of 10

ive also filled the papers with RKT, they are light weight but they work and get really hard too, no mold.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:42am
post #10 of 10

What's RKT?

Quote by @%username% on %date%