Favorite Question - What Should I Charge

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm by indydebi

jlynnw Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 8

I have a cake comming up that I have no idea how to price. It will be a 2 or 3 tier cake jungle theme with several gumpaste animals, Dora, Boots, and Swiper on it. It will be a small cake to serve 20 people. The top tier will be a 4 or 6 inch. She would like the larger birthday servings. For cakes like this, it is hard to price by the serving as there is too much else with the cake. DH says $50 would be more than enough, DD says $120 there is a lot of work with the figures. Need advice!

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 8

1st of all........it is illegal to sell a copyrighted design like that icon_sad.gif

If you still insist........your DD is right on! A minimum of $5 per serving.

niccicola Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 8

not hard at all to price per serving. all buttercream=$2 or $3 per serving or all fondant=$2.50 or $3.50 per serving....then add an extra $7-$10 per fondant figure

and price it per serving according to how much the cake serves, not how many people will be at the party

2 tier 6" and 8" is 32 servings, 3 tier 6" 8" and 10" 60 servings....waaaay more than the 20 guests you say will be at the party

jlynnw Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:58am
post #4 of 8

The Dora cake is a cake kit therefore legal but the animals in gumpaste, I worded that part wrong. How about a 4, 6 , 10. It will serve more than needed, be able to carve some off as well and look porportional(sp). So at least $100 will be reasonable?

indydebi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:06am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

The Dora cake is a cake kit therefore legal but the animals in gumpaste, I worded that part wrong. How about a 4, 6 , 10. It will serve more than needed, be able to carve some off as well and look porportional(sp). So at least $100 will be reasonable?

If I were doing just a BC 4/6/10 .....
10 serves 38 + 6" serves 12 = 50 + 4" serves (what .... 8?) = 58 servings x my BC rate of $3.50/serving = $203.

PLUS the extra charge for figures, and depending on the detail, I'm with the above poster and would go in the $5-$10 each range.

Tell hubby he's full of doggy doo-doo! icon_rolleyes.gif You don't say if you're doing the cake in fondant or BC, but if it's in fondant, you'll probably spend $50 just in supplies. Send HIM out to buy the supplies and let him get educated!

kakeladi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 8

Indy said: ..........Tell hubby he's full of doggy doo-doo!.... Send HIM out to buy the supplies and let him get educated!......

Aaahhhhhhh so right! icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 8

he is in the dog house see other forum topic. He is going to go with me today after work and see how this all works out. He is "getting" to help me do our dd cake. It is a topsy turvy cake and similar to me sweet 16. He does not think it will take but and hour or two. icon_eek.gif He is going to get educated today. I find that I think only the best for dd and we will "HAVE" to make our own fondant. Opps, did I forget to mention we probably should have colored it?? icon_twisted.gif Thanks guys, I will teach him in my passive agessive way icon_evil.gif

indydebi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

he is in the dog house see other forum topic. He is going to go with me today after work and see how this all works out. He is "getting" to help me do our dd cake. It is a topsy turvy cake and similar to me sweet 16. He does not think it will take but and hour or two. icon_eek.gif He is going to get educated today. I find that I think only the best for dd and we will "HAVE" to make our own fondant. Opps, did I forget to mention we probably should have colored it?? icon_twisted.gif Thanks guys, I will teach him in my passive agessive way icon_evil.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif now THAT'S my kind of gal!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%