Get A Caucasian Skin Colour On Fondant?

Decorating By tracey1970 Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm by tracey1970

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:41am
post #1 of 5

I am planning to make a fondant plaque of a cartoon character. I have made such a plaque before but didn't require a "flesh" tone when I did it. I have used copper colour gel to make flesh tone in buttercream by using a VERY microscopic amount of coper colour in a much larger amount of buttercream. However, I mixed copper with vodka, until it was thinner than water, and tried it on a sample swatch of white fondant. It was super dark! I also tried ivory - again, too dark!

I know Wilton makes a flesh-coloured fondant, but I don't want to puzzle piece together the plaque, and I won't be able to get my other colours right if I roll out a piece of flesh-coloured fondant. It's my intent to roll out one piece of white fondant and paint it the required colours from there. I only need to do a small face and hands, so it's not something that will make up a large portion of the plaque.

Has anyone tried "peach" colour? Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:56am
post #2 of 5

LOL I had just typed up a big answer for you and then realized you meant: what could you use to PAINT on the color. I have no idea but if it were me I would mix a bit of pink, a teeny bit of yellow and an iota of brown into some vodka (actually I use everclear) and tweak it until it was right, using a sample fondant to get the right tone.

Sorry I'm not more help than that, but I didn't want you to wonder why your post had been viewed but unanswered!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 5

I agree w/ceshell. You are going to have to try, try, and try again until you come up w/the right combination.
Just barely touch a toothpick into the color and add it to vodka or whatever you are using to get color. It needs to be soooooo lighticon_sad.gif
Also, I know when color is kneaded into fondant it dries a shade or two lighter; does painting do that also?

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 5

Do you have any white petal powder or dust? I use it to lighten paint I've made with vodka and food colouring, I've got a couple of whites, all but one have a sheen to them, it is the mat one that I use. You just disolve it in to the paint a little at a time and it lightens it.

Sara

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, everyone! I will have to get mixing, I guess! Sorry it took me a while to respond as I was away for the day and also hadn't received any e-mails notifying me that people had replied to my topic. I don't think I have any white petal dust, but I will look for it. I do have all those colours already (the pink, yellow, and brown), so I will try and work up some concoction.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%