Artificial Vs Natural Flavoring

Decorating By Skirt Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm by Skirt

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #1 of 7

Just made a batch of icing using Wilton artificial almond extract. Will that overpowering taste fade or do I have to mix another batch without flavoring and mix them together?
And this comes from someone who LOVES almond.... icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Skirt Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:08am
post #2 of 7

Bueller? Anyone?

If it helps any, I used indydebi's recipe and added 2T almond instead of vanilla. Her recipe states 2-3T so i thought I was safe...

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 7

I am not sure. I just bought the clear almond myself and was going to make some BC using only that. I too love almond so I am glad you mentioned that it seems a little overpowering. Maybe the next batch I try I will do half vanilla and half almond. I am sorry I am not much help, but I did want to bump.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 7

I have never used Wilton flavorings, so I really can't tell you specifically, but I will say that whenever possible I use natural flavorings, because the artificial ones taste, well, artificial to me. I just can't get past the chemical taste of them.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 7

I do use the artificial Almond extract and I use about half or even less to start with because of the overpowering taste it gives. Someday I hope to buy some larger size pure flavorings. HTH

Chippi

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 7

Almond extract is much stronger than vanilla, so I only sub about half the amount called for.

Skirt Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 7

I guess now I know...
Off I go to make a no flavour batch to add to this one. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%