What Brand Is Your Favorite For Food Coloring?

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm by tiggy2

yelle66 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 9

I HATE Wilton's packaging for their food coloring, but I just don't like Americolors colors. Alot of them come out weird for me. The brown comes out too red, the greens don't look like the top says they should (this is not just in frosting, but in fondant and RI, too.) Are there any other choices for good colors, or am I stuck with these two?

Danielle

8 replies
kakeladi Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 9

ChefMaster liqua gels are good. I got them from CountryKitchenus.com

FeGe_Cakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:45am
post #3 of 9

I have had a problem with Americolor Regal Purple. It is blue and in no way looks like purple. I will have to try Chefmaster..but are they bitter?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 9

I never base my colors on the tops.. but I love americolors....

sorry i can't help more.

kazzybaby Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 9

hi there i use house of sugar powdered colours for all my fondant royal icing and butter cream, the colours come out true and you get a real red and a black black, i also use sugarflair colours, they are more like a gel than anything else, hth kazz x

edited to add the web address for the house of sugar....

http://www.houseofsugar.co.uk/

yelle66 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:18am
post #6 of 9

Rocketgirl, I don't completely base my colors on the tops, but I think it should give you a general idea. If it says chocolate brown and the top looks like Chocolate brown, it should generally come out chocolate brown. Not burnt umber.

DsLady614 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:37am
post #7 of 9

I'm sorry, but have you tried adding more color?? I mean, it sounds like you've decided that you should only use "X" amount of color and that should give you the right color. That's just not the way it works.

I've just started using Americolor colors and honestly, I LOVE them. Dark colors require quite a bit of color, that's just the way it is.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:47am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

Rocketgirl, I don't completely base my colors on the tops, but I think it should give you a general idea. If it says chocolate brown and the top looks like Chocolate brown, it should generally come out chocolate brown. Not burnt umber.

i totally agree... but still my chocolate brown is diff from yours which is diff from americolor...

i would try adding lots of color for the dark colors. i mean especially if your just gonna toss em. might as well! not lots of BC just maybe a cup? just to see?

let us know how it works

tiggy2 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 9

Chefmaster all the way! No need to use a lot of color and no need to let it set to intensify.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%