Fondant Loopy Bow Cake Topper

Decorating By samantha22c Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm by bashini

samantha22c Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 11

I am trying to make a multi loop bow topper for a cake. How exactly is the best way? I know to make the loops in advance to try and then how to I attach them on to one another? Royal icing? Buttercream? Toothpicks? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

10 replies
cherrycakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:31am
post #2 of 11

The best way that I have done it is to take the same size pan that your top cake is and use that to assemble the loops. I actually think there is a step by step tutorial on this site that you can find. Anyway, I cut out a circle of fondant to use as the base (put this into the centre of the pan) and then use melted chocolate (in parchement paper cone) to glue the loops onto the fondant circle (and eventually onto each other). Before I do any gluing, I always fiddle with the loops to see what looks the best. Many times I end up pinching off some of the base of the loop so that they fit together better. Hope this helps!

gscout73 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:17am
post #3 of 11

There is a tutorial on the home page that is great. Yes you want to make the loops in advance. Check out the tutorial. icon_wink.gif

Sandy

icer101 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:12am
post #5 of 11

i cut out a round disk of gumpaste, maybe 3" in diameter.. let that dry good... then build my loops on that with royal icing.. loops are made in different lengths. and also some ribbon tails.. i build all this on a 6" cake board... this way, the recepient can keep it.. hth i also airbrush this bow with pearl dust or the pearl spray .

bashini Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:13am
post #6 of 11
samantha22c Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks so much. I feel alot better about making this topper now!

jer702 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 11

WOW, thank you guys so much for sharing those, I was also curious about how to make the bows.

Christina222 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 11

I actually made my first one this week and it was much easier than I thought. It was a small one and I used the pan I had baked in. I first cut out a circle of wax paper to put on the bottom, then basically followed the instructions in the tutorial on the front page and "glued" it together with melted chocolate. I was very pleased with the way it came out. Once it was dry, I just popped i off the wax paper and used a litle buttercream to attach it to the cake.

samantha22c Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 11

Is it best to mix half fondant and half gumpaste? I did all marshmallow fondant and they were coming apart. What did I do wrong?

bashini Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, you have to either mix 50/50 gumpaste and fondant or add 1/2 a teaspoon of CMC/Tylose powder to 250g of fondant. Both works well. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%