Can I Fit A 14" Magic Line Square Pan In My Oven?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 11:24pm by dinas27

cherrycakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone know how big the 14" square Magic Line pan (including the lip that goes around it) is? I have to order one and I don't want to find out it doesn't fit in my oven!

As well, for a hobby baker is Magic Line still the best to go with or is Fat Daddio's fine as well? Thanks!

12 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 13

Well, do you have one of those itty, bitty wall ovens, or a regular floor oven?

I can fit my 16" square into my floor oven, and it's a Hotpoint.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 13

It's just a regular floor model that I can fit a 15 inch pan into. I'm just wondering how big the rim is around the top of the pan?

ibmoser Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 13

I just measured the lip on my Magic Line pans, and they are all 1/2" on each side, so a 14" square will need a 15" square space. Virtually any home oven will accommodate one.

cashley Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

I just measured the lip on my Magic Line pans, and they are all 1/2" on each side, so a 14" square will need a 15" square space. Virtually any home oven will accommodate one.

My home oven will not accomodate as I have a convection oven and was upset I couldn't get my 14" pan into it.

ibmoser Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 13

Wow - I have a built-in oven (home, not professional) that is small by current standards (it is a 27", not a 30" - or larger - like most currently used), and I have plenty of space for one pan.

cherrycakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

Thanks so much! This is exactly the info that I need. Now here's another question: do you use this size a lot? I will be buying pans and I want to buy what I'll use the most. I am doing a wedding cake and the size isn't the issue - it just has to be 3 tiers with 4 inches difference between each tier. So, which would be better: 4,8,12 or 6, 10, 14? Thanks!

ibmoser Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 13

What are you more likely to use/need again? I do this for fun and don't like huge projects, so the smaller, the better for me. But, maybe you enjoy bigger projects and/or being able to carve unusual shapes from larger cakes.

cherrycakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 13

Oh, I also do this just for fun but as I said, this will be a wedding cake and I still need it to look impressive. Do you think a 4, 8, 12 would look okay? I agree though that I would definitly prefer to work with smaller tiers! I'll post a pic of the cake I'll be doing. Thanks!
LL

audrey0522 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 13

Just a thought, a 4 inch cake might look too small. Esp. if you are making them very tall. I make cakes just for family and find a 10 inch and 6 inch work well for tiered cakes. A 6 inch also gives you more room for a topper. I have also made larger cakes using a 14 inch bottom tier and I liked the look. A 14, 10 and 6 inch is a more impressive size. Good luck on what ever you decide.

cherrycakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey0522

Just a thought, a 4 inch cake might look too small. Esp. if you are making them very tall. I make cakes just for family and find a 10 inch and 6 inch work well for tiered cakes. A 6 inch also gives you more room for a topper. I have also made larger cakes using a 14 inch bottom tier and I liked the look. A 14, 10 and 6 inch is a more impressive size. Good luck on what ever you decide.

That's exactly what I was thinking so I'll probably go with the 6,10,14. By the way...do you think these are higher than 4" tiers?

audrey0522 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 13

When I compare the width with the height it looks to me like they are 4 inch tiers. The icing and the cardboard or other support system would give it a little more height.

dinas27 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 13

The cake you posted looks like it is 4,8,12.... and I say this because it looks 4" high and the top layer looks very close to a cube. I like the way it looks this way and so that is the size I would personally go with. However, if they are having a cake topper check to make sure it will fit on the top layer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%