Can I Fit A 14" Magic Line Square Pan In My Oven?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 11:24pm by dinas27

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone know how big the 14" square Magic Line pan (including the lip that goes around it) is? I have to order one and I don't want to find out it doesn't fit in my oven!

As well, for a hobby baker is Magic Line still the best to go with or is Fat Daddio's fine as well? Thanks!

12 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 13

Well, do you have one of those itty, bitty wall ovens, or a regular floor oven?

I can fit my 16" square into my floor oven, and it's a Hotpoint.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 13

It's just a regular floor model that I can fit a 15 inch pan into. I'm just wondering how big the rim is around the top of the pan?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 13

I just measured the lip on my Magic Line pans, and they are all 1/2" on each side, so a 14" square will need a 15" square space. Virtually any home oven will accommodate one.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

I just measured the lip on my Magic Line pans, and they are all 1/2" on each side, so a 14" square will need a 15" square space. Virtually any home oven will accommodate one.

My home oven will not accomodate as I have a convection oven and was upset I couldn't get my 14" pan into it.

ibmoser Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 13

Wow - I have a built-in oven (home, not professional) that is small by current standards (it is a 27", not a 30" - or larger - like most currently used), and I have plenty of space for one pan.

cherrycakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

Thanks so much! This is exactly the info that I need. Now here's another question: do you use this size a lot? I will be buying pans and I want to buy what I'll use the most. I am doing a wedding cake and the size isn't the issue - it just has to be 3 tiers with 4 inches difference between each tier. So, which would be better: 4,8,12 or 6, 10, 14? Thanks!

ibmoser Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 13

What are you more likely to use/need again? I do this for fun and don't like huge projects, so the smaller, the better for me. But, maybe you enjoy bigger projects and/or being able to carve unusual shapes from larger cakes.

cherrycakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 13

Oh, I also do this just for fun but as I said, this will be a wedding cake and I still need it to look impressive. Do you think a 4, 8, 12 would look okay? I agree though that I would definitly prefer to work with smaller tiers! I'll post a pic of the cake I'll be doing. Thanks!
LL

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 13

Just a thought, a 4 inch cake might look too small. Esp. if you are making them very tall. I make cakes just for family and find a 10 inch and 6 inch work well for tiered cakes. A 6 inch also gives you more room for a topper. I have also made larger cakes using a 14 inch bottom tier and I liked the look. A 14, 10 and 6 inch is a more impressive size. Good luck on what ever you decide.

cherrycakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey0522

Just a thought, a 4 inch cake might look too small. Esp. if you are making them very tall. I make cakes just for family and find a 10 inch and 6 inch work well for tiered cakes. A 6 inch also gives you more room for a topper. I have also made larger cakes using a 14 inch bottom tier and I liked the look. A 14, 10 and 6 inch is a more impressive size. Good luck on what ever you decide.

That's exactly what I was thinking so I'll probably go with the 6,10,14. By the way...do you think these are higher than 4" tiers?

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 13

When I compare the width with the height it looks to me like they are 4 inch tiers. The icing and the cardboard or other support system would give it a little more height.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 13

The cake you posted looks like it is 4,8,12.... and I say this because it looks 4" high and the top layer looks very close to a cube. I like the way it looks this way and so that is the size I would personally go with. However, if they are having a cake topper check to make sure it will fit on the top layer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%