Rent-A-Cake

Decorating By BitsnBites Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 3:03am by gscout73

BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone seen these before? Rent-a-cake companies. From a business standpoint, that is a great idea, but from a Client standpoint, it seems really tacky.

http://www.rentthecakeofyourdreams.com/

10 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 11

Man, what is next?????? icon_confused.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 11

that's crazy!!
I guess it's a good idea to save money and still get a huge beautiful cake. But I wouldn't have bought one for my wedding. It just seems a little weird. But with the economy how it is today, I bet they are making some bucks with it.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 11

I wonder how many weddings one of these rental cakes would last...5, 10?

mommicakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 11

I don't know but, I'm still not convinced it's worth it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:06am
post #6 of 11

Rent the fake cake for thirty bucks???? icon_eek.gif

Oh please, let them be my competition! Because at those prices, they won't be my competition for very long.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:08am
post #7 of 11

What are these rented cakes covered with?

mommicakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:10am
post #8 of 11

Sorry I just don't get people like this now-a-days!! Come on people. Fake cake??? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I have to say, my own personal opinion:

Go Real Or Go Home!!!!

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:37am
post #9 of 11

Okay let the cake flinging begin...

I was totally thinking of this yesterday when I was recalling my own wedding cake. (which sucked by the way, buts thats another story)

Myself and two siblings all had our weddings the same year within 4 months of each other (I know our poor parents)pun intended, so to say my budget was tight was an understatement.

I was thinking this would have been something that would have been GREAT and should I offer this if I ever open a business, because I will not do wedding cakes otherwise (Bridezillas are NOT for me).

Of course I was ready to rent my dress too, but my Mom put her foot down. (probably would have nixed this idea too)

People spend way to much on this one day some go into debt , and for what? A white dress you never wear again, flowers that die the next day, a cold dinner and 5 tier cake that gets cut up????? (of course I mean NO OFFENSE to anyone here. The cakes here are amazing and the work put into them is worth every penny!!)

I know, I know, it sounds trashy and cheap, but I think its practical.

I am holding up a tarp to take cover behind icon_wink.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:03am
post #10 of 11

kake4me2, I agree with you about the price of weddings. I guess it's my age, but it seems like weddings have become an even more elaborate performance than they were even ten years ago, forget 30 years ago. Renting a cake is just part of it- all show and no substance.

I was raised in the 'cut your coat according to your cloth' school of money management. If you don't have a Donald Trump footing the bill, plan a smaller more intimate wedding. Order your dress from Target, ask aunt Millie to make your cake -it may not look like the magnificent creations we see in magazines, but if aunt Millie is a good baker it will taste nice. Use the church hall for the reception and serve brats and beer/lemonade if that what your budget looks like. Stop trying to impress others with an event that doesn't reflect who and what you are.
A young couple who start their marriage in debt for an over the top wedding may find that the debt can last longer than the marriage.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:03am
post #11 of 11

lol to get the fake cake for $30 you have to order the "kitchen" cake from them. Otherwise the rental cake is $100. icon_confused.gif

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%