Confectioner's Glaze

Decorating By farnum22407 Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 9:41pm by superstar

farnum22407 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 12

I am unable to find Confectioners Glaze (commonly used in the UK). Is there an American equivalent?

11 replies
bashini Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 12

Hi, you can use clear alcohol/ clear extract or everclear instead of glaze. icon_smile.gif

superstar Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 12

I bought my confectioners glaze from Beryl's Cake Decorating & Pastry Supplies, they are online.
http://www.beryls.com

tannersmom Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 12

I got mine from www.wineandcake.com

hth
stephanie

DianeLM Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 12

You can order it from Country Kitchen. Global Sugar Art doesn't carry it.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=617859

superstar Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 12

I am confused, I entered beryl's website & Global Sugar's popped up??????

MacsMom Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 12

What are you going ot use it for? It's supposed to be used for display cakes. While supposedly edible, it smells like paint thinner.

If you want a glossy look with a dry finish for a cake to be served, then just mix vodka (or lemon extract) with piping gel and brush it on. It dries non-sticky. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

While supposedly edible, it smells like paint thinner.

That is true! However, it dries odorless and tasteless. I've eaten it and my customers have eaten it with no ill effects.

MissRobin Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 12

www.intotheoven.com, also carries it!

MacsMom Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Quote:

That is true! However, it dries odorless and tasteless. I've eaten it and my customers have eaten it with no ill effects.

I used it on a grand piano cake. Yes, it did dry odorless and tasteless, but hard, too--cut-able, but crackling. I dripped it on my work surface and it dried, what a pain in the bootie to remove!

The piping gel/vodka trick works great and is inexpensive. (I buy the cheapest vodka and use it for painting with food color and luster dusts, too).

DianeLM Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Quote:

I used it on a grand piano cake. Yes, it did dry odorless and tasteless, but hard, too--cut-able, but crackling. I dripped it on my work surface and it dried, what a pain in the bootie to remove!

The piping gel/vodka trick works great and is inexpensive. (I buy the cheapest vodka and use it for painting with food color and luster dusts, too).

Ick... cleaning it off surfaces is surely a pain. That's why I got the thinner, too.

I'm definitely going to try the gel/vodka trick. Have you tried it with Everclear?

superstar Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:41pm
post #12 of 12

I only use it for decorations that I don't think will get eaten. You have to clean your brush etc. with Isopropyl Alcohol which you can buy in any pharmacy secion. I very seldom use the confectioners glaze at full strength, I dilute it with the thinners.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%