Cake Dummies

Decorating By kake4me2 Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 11:17pm by artsywest

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 18

What does everyone use for their dummies to practice on (not for display). I would like to as much practice as possible and this isn't always practical on a real cake.
(I will still make cakes to get the "real" experience as well.)

What works best? The ones from the websites advertised here or can I just go to Michaels and get some styrofoam is diff shapes???

17 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 18

I've never ordered from Taylor Foam, but some people on CC directed me to it. The prices seem great. =o) Good luck!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 18

I've ordered from Dallas Foam and they are cheap. www.**********.com

Liniti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liniti Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 18

LOL! I just clicked on this thread thinking it was one for the inexperienced cake decorator....that'll be me.... icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 18

www.**********.com is great!!!

cakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesandbakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 18

I usually order mine from dallas foam or from decopac they have graet prices, then (because I'm cheap!) I wrap them in press n seal before I use them. Them you can just lift the press n seal off when you are done and start over!!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 18

I have ordered from Taylor a couple of times. actually I am waiting for another order should be here tomorrow. They are very nice to work with, I called to check the status of the order, and they emailed me the tracking number so I could check on it. Prices are not too bad. I usually only use them for display purposes like for shows and consults as visuals for brides. If I don't have one available, I will use anything in a shape I can find. Last night, I used a plain square box to make a present "dummy" out of, covered w/ fondant and voila! Go to your craft store and see what you find.

aquachic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquachic Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 18

I ordered from www.**********.com off of ebay. The prices were great and they shipped fast.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 18

I would advise you to avoid the styro rounds from Michaels. You will spend a lot of money for not so great results.

I get all of my dummmies from Dallas-Foam.

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 18

Some of the websites are blocked...

Anyone else have suggestions???

steph_78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph_78 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 18

We just bought about 20 from Bulk Barn.

nanatrucker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanatrucker Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 18

I went to a furniture store and picked up some scrap strofoam they had to practice with. It works great and didn't cost a dime.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatrucker

I went to a furniture store and picked up some scrap strofoam they had to practice with. It works great and didn't cost a dime.

Now that is good thinking. Did it come apart easily or was it really sturdy enough to use? Did you use BC or fondant? Just curious. I have a bunch of dummies, but right now, I find myself needing 3 more and I don't have time to wait for shipping, this would be great if they actually hold up well. Please let me know.
Thanks,
donna

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:06pm
post #14 of 18

www.**********.com dummies are great. You will find them blocked here (not sure why, they have always given me good customer service and quick shipment) --Google them. They usually can be bought of eBay as well from them. ******************** has some of the more unique shapes, commas, hexagons, etc. They are a little more expensive and their shipping is slower.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm
post #15 of 18

I really don't understand why www.**********.com is blocked - I have ordered from them SEVERAL times and I have always been happy with the results, I think they are the cheapest and the shipping is crazy fast!!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm
post #16 of 18

I read a post from Heath about how they block websites that have somehow solicited CC members or not provided good customer service or something like that.

Anyway! I have always had great service from www.**********.com so that is my suggestions!! (for whatever that's worth! haha!!)

nanatrucker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanatrucker Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 18

mommicakes,They hold up real well I just sanded the edges off a little. I done some using fondant and some with the bc.

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:17pm
post #18 of 18

I went to Menards and bought a huge sheet of pink household insulating foam to use for my cake dummies. I was able to carve it quite easily and I can make a kabillion cakes for not much money.

Somehow when DH and I go out for the evening, we always end up at Menards....sigh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%