When Do You Start Baking?

Decorating By veronica970206 Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 10:53pm by marmalade1687

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 4

Last question of the day for me, when you make a wedding cake, how far in advance before the delivery date do you make your cakes? IE a cake for 150 people and a cake for 200 people? If you freeze them, would that mess up the cake when you go to cover it with fondant, or do you let it defrost? I have made large birthday cakes before, but this is soooo different, ya know? I am so nervous, now I know what everyone else goes through on here, LOL> The Bride for the 200 guests just wants BC and the Bride for 150 guests wants fondant, can someone help me with a week agenda on what to do? I know when I do Birthday cakes I usually do it that day or the day before with no problems, also depending on delivery time, of course, but then again it is only a 8 and 6 stacked cake or 10, 8 and 6 (Which I have done before for a Birthday). Either way, I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. Thanks in advance, Veronica

3 replies
BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 4

I have done a few wedding cakes and my agenda always started with this.....for a Saturday wedding, I would start Monday with all the baking of the cakes and the carving if it needed it and then freeze them. Tuesday I made the frostings. Wednesday I made the fondant. I took Thursday off and then Friday I began assembling everything except the stacking part. If i needed any bow toppings or anything that needed to air dry, I always begin this atleast 2 weeks before the date, or earlier if you want.
I pull my cakes from the freezer and let them defrost for atleast 30 minutes to an hour in the saran wrap and then assemble, frost, cover in fondant and then decorate. On the day of the wedding I take all the tiers seperate and stack on site for an easier delivery. It's pretty simple! I do one thing a day when I prepare for a wedding to avoid me getting burnt out, overwhelmed and tired. It's more enjoyable too.
Anyway, hope this helps....good luck!

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 4

Does freezing help with the frosting and laying on the fondant/keeping them fresh if I start baking on a Tuesday, I have never froze a cake before applying frosting and fondant. The wedding is on a Sunday, according to a serving chart for 150 guests, I would have to make a 14,12,10,8 and 6 for them to save. It is a real simple cake, frosted with BC and fondant swags with some gumpaste roses. Unless they decide to go with the fondant covered cake, she is still undecided. The wedding is in June. Any ideas I would appreciate. Thanks so much, Veronica

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 4

I find that freezing can make the cake moister - just make sure that it's wrapped properly. I always start my baking early on in the week too - Monday or Tuesday depending on how many orders I have. I decorate weekdays, even for a Sunday wedding, so if you have fridge space, it will be fine for a day or two done and put away in the fridge - that way, you're not rushing yourself the day before the wedding - you can take your time if needed. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%