Help With Pricing

Baking By cakesbydina Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 2:04pm by cylstrial

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 4

a coffee shop wants to purchase cupcakes and cookies from me. Does anyone else do this and if so how much do you charge? My cookies will be ices with a fondant flower accent and the cupcakes will be a swirl of buttercream with a fondant flower and cupcake paper wrapper

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 4

I would charge what you normally charge and let them mark it up more. Personally (I'm very inexpensive compared to most on here by the way), I charge .75/cupcake for just a swirl, a fondant flower accent (guessing it's just a cut out flower, not like a hand formed petal by petal flower) is an extra .25/serv. as are all of my fondant "accents". So for me I'd charge 1.00/each.

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 4

how do you know how much you are actually profitting on that?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 4

You would have to go thru in an excel spreadsheet and make a list of all your ingredients, how much you paid, and then break it down per some amount (like a cup, tablespoon, etc). Then you have to type in your recipe and use the $amount for each item and multiply it by the amount of flour, sugar, etc. Add up all your costs. Don't forget there's a water bill, electricity, etc. Then you will have to determine how many cupcakes you yield. Plus, how much do you want to charge for your time. Then you will know if you are making a profit.

To be honest, it doesn't cost much to make. I think it costs about $2.50 for me to make a scratch cake (not including electricity or anything else). With frosting and the liners it would probably be 5-7. But if I get 36 cupcakes out of that (or more)...(at .75/ cupcake that would be $27.00).

Hope my rambling has helped!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%