Wedding Cake Disaster

Decorating By bankingatthebeach Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 3:22am by Deb_

bankingatthebeach Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 8

A co-worker asked me to do her daughters wedding cake. It was 5 tiers with japanese flower blossoms winding down the tiers. It turned out really pretty, the problem was at the set-up
My husband came with me, the venue was a hotel at the beach. I told the bride to make sure the cake table was not in front of the window facing the beach, well, it was in front of the window facing the beach. I got them to move it, but they had the A/C off in the room. It was 85 degrees as I was setting up. I had buttercream melting everywhere. I ended up leaving off the top layer because I was afraid it would slide off.
The more I tried to fix, the more it looked like it was leaning.
We set it up at 3pm because the reception was at 6 but they didnt cut til 9pm! Needless to say by 8:30pm the top layer slid off. I was mortified when I found out. The bride was cool about it and said if that was the worst to happen on her day then she was happy.
That was the first time I ever had one fall. Still upsets me and its been a year.

7 replies
indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 8

It amazes me that hotels, who are in the business of being a venue for weddings, seem to have no freakin' clue on what is needed for a wedding cake. the A/C was OFF????? Are you kidding me???? What did they say when you asked them to turn it up/on? Did you explain what would happen otherwise?

I'm glad the bride was low key about it. Hopefully this means she understands the environment was a contributing factor.

lostincake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 8

I know it must still sting - just having a cake that is too dry upsets me - on the bright side, you had a very understanding bride.

And may nothing like this ever happen to you again icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 8

Oh how well we understand your horror. As Indydebi said, I just don't understand venues who will not be prepared or provide creature comforts! But........
I have worked almost exclusively w/b'cream. I have had to transport/set up cakes in triple digit heat and cannot remember 1 that the icing melted. What recipe did you use?

bakingatthebeach Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 8

The A/C controller was covered with a locked plastic cover. We said something to the kitchen manager but I guess nothing was done and the place got even hotter once the guests arrived. It was a nightmare, the more I tried to fix it, the more it slid and leaned. I used all butter buttercream thinking its April and it should be ok, have used in here in SC during the summer and never had this problem with it. It had to be hotter than the 85 deg the thermostat said because I was getting nauseous (or I could have had stress nausea)! I posted a picture of it on the wedding cake disaster gallery.
It would be the leaning one with purple flowers on it. That stupid thing was straight when I set it up at the house. And I think the bride was cool about it because I only charged them for the ingredients since I work with her mom, so she got it cheap!

indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 8

who would have thought you'd have a temperature control problem in April! icon_eek.gif The cake DOES look really nice!

(Odd observation: Your above post shows "1" post, but your original post shows "4" posts. Must be a system fluke going on.)

bakingatthebeach Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #7 of 8

I think there was a solar issue going on. If your windows are facing the sun around 3 here at the beach, it really heats up a room, and their entire front of the room was windows and it was the 3rd floor so no shade in front of the windows.

Deb_ Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:22am
post #8 of 8

[quote="bakingatthebeach" I used all butter buttercream thinking its April and it should be ok, [/quote]

OK wait a minute.......IT'S APRIL? Did I miss something? Like March! Man, I'm completely confused.

Oh well, whenever this happened, it stinks and I'm sorry icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%