Flowers In Between Cake Layers?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm by step0nmi

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,
How do you all separate a cake or what method do you use in stacking, etc. when flowers are involved in the cake. For example when the cake is stacked such as a 4 tier cake and the flowers look like they are what is in between the cakes. I'm sure it is a pillar system that is used to support the cake but how do you hide the pillars with the flowers or keep the flowers from falling out.

I hope this question makes sense. I have stacked cakes in the past with the separator plates and the pillars before and have put flowers in between the cakes but the pillars really show. I have a bride who wants the look of the flowers between the tiers, but does not want the pillars to show.

Any guidance or help is greatly apprecicated.

THANKS!

5 replies
ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 6

You could use styrofoam blocks in between the cakes. Then you insert the flowers in them. You could still use the pillars with the block in the middle, or use just the block (properly supported with dowels) to stack the cake. HTH

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngfcake

You could use styrofoam blocks in between the cakes. Then you insert the flowers in them. You could still use the pillars with the block in the middle, or use just the block (properly supported with dowels) to stack the cake. HTH

What is the styrofoam blocks or the pillars the the block in the middle? Sorry I'm not familiar with these methods. How do you support these blocks? Do you just put lots of dowels in a smaller circle in the middle of the cake, then put the styrofoam on theat and then the cake on that? How does the cake not fall off?

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 6

I am making a cake similar to what you described in April. My roses will all be 1 colour so I will put styrofoam between each tier like the pp said and cover it in ribbon the same colour as roses.

This is what i'm planning to do anyway...I may change my mind before April, obviously i'll be stacking as normal with suports. icon_wink.gif

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

JamieBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieBrooke Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 6

I just did a wedding cake with flowers like you are talking about and I used the tall tier cake stand by wilton. It only has the center column so it does not show. Here is a picture of the cake. By the way this was my first wedding cake. I was so proud of it.
LL

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 6

I have a cake that I did this past summer in my photos that is like you described. I just got the clear column pillars from Country Kitchen Sweet Art and put the flowers in there and they just sat nicely. depending on how many roses you are doing you may want to do the styrofoam in between in order to get them all straight.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%