Cake Boards And Alternatives

Decorating By heater79 Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 2:22am by Deb_

heater79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heater79 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone icon_biggrin.gif
I was thinking about Cake Boards and alternatives for them. I was at my local dollar store today and noticed they had Foam board 20" by 30". They seemed very sturdy and they are a lot larger than the ones I can order online and only a dollar each, online I pay $10.50 + shipping. (Canadian $$) for 6 size 13" by 19" and its only corrugated cardboard.
Now I know that I will need to use a thin board between layers if I am doing a large cake, and the foam board would be too thick. Wouldn't it?
Has anyone used Foam board for a base? Is it a good idea? icon_confused.gif
And has anyone used other materials for between layers and bases besides purchased cake boards?

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 6

I think most professionals use the foam board between layers and for their boards as well.......I love the stuff.....I don't use it between layers though, only because I hate cutting out circles lol...but I love to use it for my boards. I generally cover the board with decorative paper and clear contact paper and run a ribbon around the edge as well.

pirogilady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pirogilady Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 6

hi- I also use foam boards a lot as a base but not in the middle. many times i keep cardboard boxes and cut the boards myself, then cover them in decorative foil..
Also- as a base, i started sometimes using styrofoam boards- expecially helpful with larger/heavier cakes, and also stabilizes cake if you want to put a dowel rod thru it. Of course- i cover it with deco. foil first, but the rods go thru it anyway.... icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 6

I use masonite between all of my layers. Most of the professional studios I've had the chance to visit (and during my internship) this is what was used.

likitiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
likitiki Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:43am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I use masonite between all of my layers. Most of the professional studios I've had the chance to visit (and during my internship) this is what was used.

Do you mind if I ask what do you cover the masonite with?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:22am
post #6 of 6

Just be sure whatever you use is food safe. There is another thread on here about contact paper, not being food safe.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-619684-.html

Read through to blakescakes post where she has an e-mail posted from someone concerning contact paper.

Please be careful with the foam boards sold at dollar stores and art stores. If they are not labeled food safe, I'd be hesitant, actually........I wouldn't use them. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%