Coloring Frosting Brown

Decorating By ali79756 Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 11:16pm by tiggy2

ali79756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ali79756 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 9

hello all!
i got a cake order for an mini wedding reception and the bride wants a brown and turquoise cake but i asked her if she wanted the frosting chocolate and she said no my buttercream frosting. so the only problem is every time i try to make a brown frosting it always comes out this nasty looking green brown lol. so how do i get a true brown color someone please help me the cake is due sunday.
thank u
alisha

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 9

Maybe use a ton of paste food color? I know what you mean about the green-brown, but if you use a ton of the paste it won't water the icing down and you should eventually get to a decent brown.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 9

Make sure you are using a good food coloring, too. I am not a fan of Americolor, but I do use it sometimes b/c it is less messy. I like the Wilton brown much better, though.

Danielle

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 9

Use Chefmaster Liqua Gel colors. The colors are concentrated so it doesn't take near as much to get very deep, dark colors and there is no bitter taste to it. It also colors immediately so no need to wait overnight for the colors to intensify. Their red and black is awesome!

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 9

I use Americolor's chocolate brown on the "mud" in my avatar photo. It really did not take much and I am surprised how quickly it darkens. HTH

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 9

What type of color are you using? When I use Americolor Chocolate Brown it turns out nice.

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 9

I do use Americolor brown and have never had a problem with it. However it takes me a few days to get a rich dark brown (chocolate color). I first start by coloring my buttercream brown on day one and putting it away, then I come back the next day and add a little more brown. I do this daily till the fifth day. By then the color is brown enough for me.
Thanks

ali79756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ali79756 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 9

i have been using the wiltons brown. maybe i should try to use more of it?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 9

Check out this video from Edna using chefmaster

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%