Decorating A Costco Cake..

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm by tarheelgirl

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:27am
post #1 of 10

I have a customer who is always getting cakes from me. Well she needs a sheet cake for 100 so I gave her a price and it is way out of her budget. It's actually double what she wanted to spend. She emails today and ask if she gets a iced sheet cake from Costco if I would decorate it for her. I really don't want to decorate something that I did not make. Especially when she raves about my cakes and how great they taste.

9 replies
kelleym Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:00am
post #2 of 10

Since, as we always talk about, the major cost of the cake lies in your labor and expertise and not in the ingredients, I'm not sure this would save her as much as she thinks it will.

I would politely decline, saying you only decorate cakes you made. (Although Costco cakes are delicioius icon_smile.gif)

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, I did decline! And you are so right.. the detail and design is worth far more then the ingredients in the cake.

Monkess Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:13am
post #4 of 10

You did the right thing! I would find it kind of sneaky to have a customer do this to me...even though she was upfront with you...you know what I mean, its like taking your talent for cheap.

Deb_ Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #5 of 10

It just shows you that the general public has no idea about things cake related. icon_rolleyes.gif

You did the right thing declining her "offer". thumbs_up.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:41am
post #6 of 10

I kind of wonder how much she thought I would have charged just for decorating it. Decorating and designing the cake is the most time consuming part. I think some people think we can just slap some icing on and wahhhla.. you have a cake!

tarheelgirl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:43am
post #7 of 10

I kind of wonder how much she thought I would have charged just for decorating it. Decorating and designing the cake is the most time consuming part. I think some people think we can just slap some icing on and wahhhla.. you have a cake!

CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:04am
post #8 of 10

icon_redface.gif Ok, I almost passed this one up since I seemed to be the exception to the rule but oh well!! I have decorated Costco cakes before, not just for my kids (the Clifford rectangle in my pics, last minute family madness and no time to bake but daughter LOVED Clifford - - - what was I to do??) but for those who are on a tight budget but still want the local school logo, etc, I do them for about $20.

Now granted, I don't offer sheet cakes and even if I did, they are no where's near as cheap as Costco. The point is, in the height of graduation season, I have had several people want the school mascot logo put on a cake. Takes me about 1/2 hr - I charge $20. I have faith in costco's product and it works for me.

Just wanted to share another point of view. And as a rule, I already have the local colors on hand (bagged, even) so seriously, it's not that time consuming. I charge an extra $5 if they want me to pick up the cake.
And btw, I would not do this for the grocery stores cakes - they are flippin' hideous. Say what you will about Costco, etc - we ate their cakes for years before I started decorating and they are awesome..... perfect for a childs birthday. HTH

Monkess Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 10

CakeDiva-Contrary to my original opinion, you do seem to have a point. I guess it is specific to your case where you seem to be getting not just that one off but several cakes to just decorate. And with the logo thing it seems like good money for an easy enough job-why pass it up? Good for you!

tarheelgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 10

Well, I am decorating it!! Time has gotten away from me and with trying to organize my daughters 6th birthday party for Saturday.. I of course had to do something huge and different for her party. My first castle cake.. So, I told the lady if she wanted to buy it then I would charge her just for decorating it. Along with my other orders of the week this seemed logical. It takes a load of stress off. So, I guess I don't feel so bad about doing it now. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%