Best Way To Color Mmf Black??

Decorating By sweetcheeks75 Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 3:26pm by jouj

sweetcheeks75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcheeks75 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:24am
post #1 of 12

My daughter wants a safari cake, she loves hunting and her dream is to go to Africa to hunt. She wants one of the tiers to be a zebra print. I hate the taste of store bought foundant, so I make my own mmf and color it. The problem is coloring it black, which is not so easy. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!!! I have to have her cake done by friday which seems like alot of time, but we have six children and the hubby is leaving out of town tommorow and with all the running around icon_eek.gif ...well im sure you can get the pic!! lol

Thanks a bunch!!
Vee

11 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:45am
post #2 of 12

The best way I have found is to start with chocolate MMF, then you don't have to add as much black. Make sure you add the color to the melted marshmallows to make it easier. Also, you could try starting with chocolate MMF, cutting out your zebra stripes, and spraying them with black food color before putting them on the cake. Just let the spray dry before you pick them up or they will be all fingerprinty. I've used it before, and it doesn't taste as bad as tons of black color.

iheartcakegf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcakegf Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:55am
post #3 of 12

i came across the suggestion of using black liquid food coloring in place of water when making mmf. i tried it with red, to get a darker red without having to add in tons of color and it worked really well. though i have yet to try it for black.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:03am
post #4 of 12

AmeriColor Super Black. Wilton's black is FAR inferior to AmeriColor's.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:07am
post #5 of 12

If you can use chocolate - this recipe tastes very good (even if you make it black, because it doesn't need that much black coloring).

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3193-4-Rhondas-Ultimate-Chocolate-MMF.html

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:10am
post #6 of 12

You could also just use white fondant, then draw the zebra stripes on with a black food color pen (you can get them at "Michael's Crafts" in the cake decorating aisle)

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:40am
post #7 of 12

I colour mine darkish brown and then add the black - then it doesnt taste so bitter.

sweetcheeks75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcheeks75 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #8 of 12

As always, great suggestions!!! Thank you so much! I will try making chocolate first and then color it black. For the future I will order the Americolor and maybe order the pen, there isnt a Michael's close to me icon_confused.gif . Thanks to all!!!

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 12

Hi, check this link, it will surely help.
Good luck.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickarockamama

i came across the suggestion of using black liquid food coloring in place of water when making mmf. i tried it with red, to get a darker red without having to add in tons of color and it worked really well. though i have yet to try it for black.

Does the red and black liquid colors have the bitter taste like the pastes do??

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:49pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringFlour

AmeriColor Super Black. Wilton's black is FAR inferior to AmeriColor's.

Agreed!

It also helps if you color a little bit at a time. When I'm making black or red fondant I usually color a batch one handful at time, then knead all of the little balls together.

This may be just as much work as coloring a big batch, but it doesn't feel like it! Plus, my arms don't get as tired from all of the kneading.

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%