Bridal Show Success!!

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 2:17am by jillmakescakes

jillmakescakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:48am
post #1 of 10

Ok, so I have to brag on myself a bit. I participated in a smaller bridal show on Saturday. I set a goal for myself to book one tasting appointment and have one bride sign a preliminary contract at the show. (they make an appointment to finalize design details at a later date).

Well, I had one bride sign that day (more than enough to pay for the booth) and booked 3 tasting appointments AT THE SHOW!!!! I'm so excited because there were two other cake vendors there and we were in the back corner (Nobody puts Baby in the corner--- love that movie)

Sorry, just had to share, my hubby is sick of hearing about it icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 10

Oh, poo-poo him! We never get sick of hearing good bridal show stories!! That is great that you were so successful! This was your first show, am I right?

janelwaters Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 10

HOLY COW! GREAT JOB!!! How do you get involved with a bridal show. I'm not legal yet, just trying to put things together to get a kitchen and I've always wondered how you hear about a bridal show to get involved.

I'm very impressed with your success!!! Keep up the good work!!

jillmakescakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 10

Debi, this was our third show... we did a VERY small one last summer (great practice), then we did the big one downtown in Jan and then this one on Sat. This was the first time I set a "goal" for myself and I was very happy to have achieved it.

The best way to get into bridal shows is to contact the information person listed on the website or ad. Typically there is a "call for more info" phone number. You simply call and ask what is needed for becoming a vendor. you definitely want to be legal first. How awful would it be to go to all the time and trouble of getting a great booth and then having a HD person shut you down.

janelwaters Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #5 of 10

I would NEVER dream of doing it without being legal!! I'm just trying to figure out different avenues for income and advertising and the cost associated with that.

Where did you even hear about the event - did you just do a google search or are they advertised in your area. It seems to me that when we have some here, I never know about them until the day of or the day after. I want to go to one to see how many cake decorators show and what the booths are like etc, so that when I can finally find a kitchen and get legal I'll know what to expect.

jillmakescakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #6 of 10

I actually started searching for shows before I became legal and called them, even if it was after the show, to be put on their mailing for next year. That way, you get advance notice, even if you are super busy getting legal and stuff.

Even though it was last years price, I still asked what the booth fee was. I've been charged anywhere from $200 to $900 for a single booth. There are some shows here that can be upwards of $3000 depending on the options you choose.

The booth rental isn't the expensive part of the show, it is preparing your booth. For my first booth, I spent a pretty penny. Between the dummies, the sign, sample cups, forks, napkins, digital photo frame (thank you CC- I didn't want to lose my photo book), business cards, flyers, door prize (some shows require you offer a door prize) and about a million other small items, it can get expensive fast. The good thing is that many of those expenses are one time expenses and can be reused for additional shows, but you stil have to get them the first time.

janelwaters Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:58am
post #7 of 10

see - this is why I love CC! I would never have thought to go ahead and get on their mailing list! On my way to search!

you rock!! Thank you!!

janelwaters Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:02am
post #8 of 10

O-M-G!!! you are NOT going to believe this - there was one today!!! TODAY! see what I mean about always missing them!! oh well - at least I know now to get on their mailing list!!

I just really want to go to one to get the experience of being an attendee before being a vendor!

indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:16am
post #9 of 10

Also ask other wedding vendors about bridal shows. Not only will they share the info about the shows, but a photographer friend of mine gave me the low-down on which ones had better turn out than others, which ones were a waste of money, etc.

jillmakescakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #10 of 10

Definitely a great idea to attend before being a vendor. If you are able, when you attend any, take pics of booths that you like. This will help you determine how you want to set up. There are several ways to set up the tables. Most of the time, they will even give you extra tables for free!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%