Just Received Pink Slip Via Email From Boss Can't Go To Ice!

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 6:52pm by nannie

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:28am
post #1 of 19

Well, I had a bad weekend. I was looking forward to going to ICES. Just received email from boss. a heads up they will be laying off. I work as accountant and I guess I can find jobs somewhere else. My husband received his termination notice was hired and terminated again. New york is a not a great place to job hunt.

I will be cancelling my week long trip to Chicago and
probably go for one day either Saturday or Sunday?

Also, my friend that runs the raw vegan bakery here just found out the landlord wants to raise the rent. She decided to close the bakery in 2 months and go back to her real job as an RN nurse--which their is a shortage of. What a weekend!

If I decided to go which day is better Saturday or Sunday. I assume it will be cheaper on Sunday. Can you see the vendors and the cake gallery all in one day? I read the evening night of sharing is free.

If so, can my hubby and kids come and not pay to the night of sharing.

Oh well, hope things will be better and maybe I can attend the San Diego show next year. Thank you cc members for putting up with my questions you all are the best.

Are any cc members had plans to go and changed their minds due to the recession? or unemployement?

18 replies
saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 19

I don't have the answers about which day is better as this will be my first time going so i don't know... but i just wanted to tell you that I am sorry to hear about your situation. The recession in Canada isn't hitting as hard as it is in the US but my hubby works in manufacturing and we were getting worried about the lack of work out there... so i don't know how you feel but i have an idea. I wish all the best for you and all the other cc members who are in the same boat.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 19

what a bummer! I am not able to go due to a similar situation and planned on living vicariously thru those that got to go! Please do tell how things go!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:18am
post #4 of 19

Awww shoot! I'm so sorry that happened. You have a good outlook though. I know how much you were looking forward to going. You'll have fun though on that day you do get to come.

Take Care, Cake-Buddy!

(((hug)))

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:18am
post #5 of 19

Well, that makes for a really bad weekend. I'm so sorry to hear all of that has happened to you and your family.

I don't know the answer to your ICES question either, but I just wanted you to know that I am thinking and praying for you and your family as well as every other family effected by this recession!

Good luck!! At least its tax season, as an accountant hopefully that will be in your favor!

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #6 of 19

i live in NY and I was just told this past weekend that my office is closing in 60 days.

It was an amazing job and I was thrilled to get in on the ground floor of a growing company- especially in the medical business.

Too bad one of the Drs I worked with is a TOTAL ASS and doesnt play well with others.

They said they plan to open another offic ein NY, but probably not until next year and they dont know where in NY. Too many variables to count on and too far of a time span.

I was very much enjoying baking/decorating and I was looking forward to take it a little more seriously...... until now.

I have to start looking for another job ASAP and everything else will be put on hold until then- and for quite some time after I suppose as well.

My b/f got us tix to see Kid Rock for valentines day at Foxwoods and we spent an extended weekend. While we were there we purchased another set of tix for a different concert this coming weekend and I dont think we should go. Its the $ for a hotel, boarding for my dog, the ferry to CT, concert tix, gas and expenses....all while I know my paycheck is limited to 60 days?!?! I dont know if I can enjoy myself with all that weighing heavily on my mind.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:34am
post #7 of 19

I'm so sorry to everyone who has lost their job or is going to lose it in the near future.

I pray things turn around soon for everyone!

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:47am
post #8 of 19

Wow! sounds like you are all having a bit of a bad time over there. I hope things get better for you all soon.

I don't think its hit here yet but its probably coming!!!

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:48am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I'm so sorry to everyone who has lost their job or is going to lose it in the near future.

I pray things turn around soon for everyone!

So sorry to hear this...My husband and I both work for a Cadillac dealership...we have all had to have our hours cut...and many people were laid off...My prayers are with everyone as well.

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:58am
post #10 of 19

I am so sorry to hear about your job! I know it is bad in the lower 48; it really hasn't hit up hear yet. We are usually a few years behind. I cant say that I can help you with deciding what day to attend the ICES show. I would generally say Saturday you would get more bang for your buck.

My thoughts are with you and your family, hang in there..it always gets better!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:09am
post #11 of 19

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope good things come along quickly.

As far as attending the ICES Convention, the evening of sharing is free
to those registered to attend the convention. It's not free to anyone who simply wants to show up--there just isn't a fee attached to it
like there is with a demo or a hands-on class. You still must have a convention attendee badge in order to get in.

Visits to the cake room cost about $10 on the day(s) that it's open to the public (non ICES/non-registered attendees) and visits to the vendor room cost $50 for non-registered attendees. I think, but am not certain, that if you buy a pass to the vendors, you may be able to view the cakes for free.

The vendor area is pretty much always crowded, but much worse in the first few hours that it's open. I avoid it until the final few hours of the first day and then make periodic visits when I have free time over the next few days.

Last year, I found a few good deals on Sun. In particular, FondX that the vendor didn't want to take back to CA, Satin Ice sample pails, some wonderful textured rolling pins from a long distance vendor, and items from the ATECO booth. In all honesty, though, if I saw something that I needed, more than wanted, I bought it right away because many vendors only had very limited supplies of many things.

HTH
Rae

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:34am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontecakes

Wow! sounds like you are all having a bit of a bad time over there. I hope things get better for you all soon.

I don't think its hit here yet but its probably coming!!!

As Brontecakes said - it hasn't hit us THAT bad YET - but with Minning being this States biggest money spinner we are starting to feel the effects - what with more and more mines closing down... and thousands being laid off work.
My DH works in the Minning Machinery side of things and it is indeed a worrying time.

We see and hear nightly on our News that those of you in the USA are feeling the brunt of things and in all honesty, we way over here shake our heads in disbelief.

We don't know any of you on a personnel note - but its hearbreaking to see what is happening. And we do hope things turn around for you soon.

I was just thinking the other day -
Our countries are so patriotic and we compete in the olympics together and so many other sports - but when its comes to War and difficult times - both countries stand side by side.

From me to all of you - i surely hope you are able to *hang in there* and that life stays on an even keel.

bundtdiva - so sorry to read that your plans have been dashed -
Thinking of you from across the miles....

Bh.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 19

All of you thank you for your kind words. Losing a job is tough. for extra money we have been looking around the house what we could sell. I still have my job until the end of this month. I started sending out resumes to other companies--there are many unemployed people in the same industry looking for the same job.

I spoke to other cake decorators here in my area who planned on going to Chicago. Due to the recession many have decided not to go and use that money for rent, food, to pay necessary house payments, or for their children and family.

Many cake hobbyists I know are baking for coworkers and friends just to earn extra money.

Most of us had plans to attend the ICES in Chicago but will be changing our plans. My friends who live in Chicago also found out they will be getting their pinkslips in a month. We decided to not go. I will still renew my subscription to ICES and look forward to getting the newsletter each month.

Thanks to the cc members for your kind words. I hope America will turn around next year.

Some cake decorators and pastry chefs in my area have had their hours cut because no one is eating as much, tourism is down here in NY.

Well, those of you who are going the Chicago be sure to share your experience and photos here when you return from the convention in August.

It it will be fun to read how your cake classes went and new cake decorating techniques you learned.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 19

[quote="Bluehue"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontecakes

I was just thinking the other day -
Our countries are so patriotic and we compete in the olympics together and so many other sports - but when its comes to War and difficult times - both countries stand side by side.

From me to all of you - i surely hope you are able to *hang in there* and that life stays on an even keel.

bundtdiva - so sorry to read that your plans have been dashed -
Thinking of you from across the miles....

Bh.

That is so kind. I was laid off 2 weeks ago from a 14 year job here in SoFla and am a single parent. I keep up with the news and often wonder how others around the globe see what's going on here. I am so worried about not being able to find a decent paying job. It's nice to know people care.

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm
post #15 of 19

I joined the 'laid off club' last week, too. We could all see it coming, didn't really make it that much easier. icon_cry.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #16 of 19

Besides my Home State (Victoria) being burnt to smitheriens and nearly burnt off the map of Australia with the horrendous out of control Bushfires - the next major issue we see and hear on the News is what is happening in USA.

It surely brings it home just how comfortable we have been living over the years in our *free and lucky Countries*

gscout73 - Yes, we see your predicament daily and icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif at the Fat Cats of the World who saw this coming but still just took took took.

We can see the CBN - NBC AND CNN News here every morning on your Morning Shows.

Makes it even more lovely to come *here* and chat about all things cakes and biscuits doesn't it?

Bh.

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:56am
post #17 of 19

I am sorry so many of you have lost your jobs. I just transfered in December out of my old job, took a new position in my company that would be better hours for my family. It is a good thing I transerfered when I did since two weeks ago my entire department got laid off. Now I am worried that my position I have now will get hit, only time will tell.

A few years ago my husband got laid off, we lost our house and we moved back home. I thought it was the worst thing that could have happened to us. But, we survived and it seems like it was a century ago. We put our faith in our family and got through. It wasn't easy, I sure prayed a lot.

I will keep everyone affected by our economy in my thoughts and prayers.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #18 of 19

I've worked at the post office for 20 years. I'm a rural carrier so I don't work hourly, our routes are evaluated once a year, averaged and that's what we get payed all year. We're doing that now. I have never seen the mail volume so low. I can't get layed off but I'll probably be working 6 days a week just to get payed for 40 hours. My son got layed off his job the day before thanksgiving and still hasn't found a job. Bluehue, it's nice to hear that you all over there are thinking of us and wishing us well. I was a little girl during the recession in the 70's, I suppose we'll get through this too. Good luck everyone looking for work.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:52pm
post #19 of 19

bundtdiva

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I know from previous posts, how much you were looking forward to ICES.

I also lost my job a month ago and if ICES wasn't being held an hour away, I wouldn't even consider going. At least I can commute and save a hotel expense.

Thanks so you Australians for your kind thoughts. I've followed the fires thru the news and you have my sympathy too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%