Help! Disaster Transporting A Castle Cake!

Decorating By Mistyveil Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 4:19am by Mistyveil

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyveil

Do you put the dowels in straight down or do you put them in at an angle? Would you get better stability if you inserted them at an angle?

straight down. always.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #32 of 41

Unfortunately, if the cake is not transported level, it will not matter what type or how much support is in a cake. I'm sorry that happened, but cakes must be level or gravity takes over.

Sandy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:47am
post #33 of 41

I'm confident that SPS could have handled this. And it may be a new system for some of you, but honestly, it should take you all of about a minute to get comfortable with it after looking at the tutorial, of course.

But the bottom line is, cakes MUST sit flat for transport. Not having enough time to clean out the car just isn't a valid excuse. Take a few minutes throw the stuff in a garbage bag and deal with the stuff later, but clear out the car so that the cake sits flat.

I am sorry this happened. Nothing happened that can't be prevented next time.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:59am
post #34 of 41

I agree with leahs completely. Always make room for transport. You do not want all your work to go to waste or not even make the destination.

I had a similar experience with a castle cake that I tried to "level" using towels underneath and ended up "holding" it in place. I ended up doing more harm than good and learned tremendously from this experience. I also ended up with a leaning castle.

Now, I always make a level spot in my car either with a piece of wood or box and set non slip all over and place the cake. I've had excellent results this way. I have even gone over bumps and a 3 hour drive this way with no problems

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #35 of 41

when placing dowels through two tiers for support do I use the 3/16" or 1/4" size?????

I'm going through a six inch and a 10 inch cake both 4inches high.

THANKS

Waiting for an answer to transport

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #36 of 41

I assure you that 1/16 of an inch will make no difference whatsoever. Use whichever is clean and sanitized.

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:34am
post #37 of 41

classiccake, I did what you said with the dowels and their placement and my castle cake arrived at it's destination without any problems.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I come on here daily and learn volumes!

Mistyveil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mistyveil Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:51pm
post #38 of 41

Yeah! I'm so happy for you! That is success!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:39pm
post #39 of 41

I remember when this kit first came out and people were having lots of problems with the turrents. The best solution that folks came up with to keep the plastic turrents stable was to drill a hole in the bottom and use a dowel inside...

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #40 of 41

Congratulations on a successful delivery!

Mistyveil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mistyveil Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:19am
post #41 of 41

I worried about the turrents falling down in the transport. That was another reason I had my son hold it. I thought it would keep them where they were placed. WRONG!

The instructions that came with the kit were so difficult to follow. They did suggest using the Wilton Candy Melts to glue a wooden dowel to insert into the cake. I didn't think that would be strong enough. I like the idea of drilling a hole into the turrent and inserting a dowel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%