How Do You Store Your Cake Decorating Supplies?

Decorating By brandywinecakes Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 2:24am by Liniti

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 16

I really need to find a way to store all this stuff! The deeper I get into this hobby, the more stuff I acquire! Right now I'm using the Wilton caddy with the red top. It's overflowing, though. I saw a cake picture in the gallery yesterday that had what appeared to be a tool box in the back ground. It had see through drawers and I could see that it had tips in it. I was wondering how everyone stored their supplies. Thanks!

15 replies
KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 16

I use the same kind you are describing with the see thru drawers plus I use tool box caddies. They just seem to be the most convinent.

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 16

I have four tool caddies, one for candy making, one for fondant & gumpaste, one for buttercream, and one for royal icing. I have several cake pans so I have a closet just for my pans, tiered cake plates, etc.....

brandywinecakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 16

That's a good idea to have one caddy for each medium and I really like the toolbox, too. Thanks for sharing!

cohenandlillysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohenandlillysmom Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #5 of 16

tool boxes, tackle boxes, clear storage containers...thats the small scale.
I have a friend who just closed her shop... she has 3 storage units.. the big ones you rent... her basement is insane and her husband is angry he cant park in the garage. This hobby produces more items than I ever imagined...well this and scrapbooking!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 16

Let's see there are the Metro type shelves in the basement for the cases of cardboards and drums and candy molds. Then the two cabinets in the basement for general supplies. Then the pastry closet for pans and tools and then the dry goods bin for the 50 pound bags of flourm sugar and cocoa, and then another random closet for general stuff. Oh and a extra freezer and extra fridge/freezer combo inthe basement. And then under the stairs storage for Show stuff.

brandywinecakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:09am
post #7 of 16

Oh my goodness, cohenandlillysmom! And I thought I was having trouble with storage!!

Thanks, leahs! When I get that large (I'm really dreaming now!), I'll keep all that in mind.

I am trying to keep it on the small scale for now. I want to have drawers instead of a lid that you have to lift. I ran across the attached picture by Barbaranne in another post and I'm thinking of something like this now. I have a closet that I can store it in and I think it would be easy to pull out and use when I need it and tuck it out of site when I'm not decorating. I also think it would save a lot of counterspace when I'm decorating. I always have the caddy out with the tray sitting next to it on the counter and that drives me crazy. I'm gonna use sandy1's idea of using each color grouping of drawers for each medium. I'm getting excited! Now, I just have to figure out where to purchase it!
LL

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:22am
post #8 of 16

Here's a thread from a while back with the same subject. There are some ideas and pictures in it that might be useful.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=607708&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 16

I had the cart in the pic above and it was a piece of junk, continually wobbled because of the way its put together with screws that you tighten.
Bought it at Costco and got rid of it after a few months of use.

However, Target and Walmart carry similar bins with wheels that are a white body structure and clear bins. I use these all over my home for everything and they are great! You can get them on sale as well!!

I keep my cake stuff in Wilton tool box and the newer taller box with slots for your spatulas. I have a feeling I will outgrow those very soon and will be trasfering things to the rolling carts.

brandywinecakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:30am
post #10 of 16

Thank you! That thread does have a lot of great ideas. I searched earlier and didn't find much (other than the rolling cabinet). I guess this one didn't show up because I searched "supplies storage". I've got to learn to expand my searches!

brandywinecakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:33am
post #11 of 16

I'm glad you told me that it was a piece of junk. I will keep my eyes open for something similiar that might be a little more sturdy!

abw2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abw2005 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 16

I bought a wide 3 drawer storage thing that rolls from Walmart for about $25. It has nothing but my decorating stuff in it, and my pans take up a closet in my mom's office icon_smile.gif

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:29pm
post #13 of 16

Where about the pans where do you store them? icon_rolleyes.gif

Liniti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liniti Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:40pm
post #14 of 16

After not making my cakes for quite sometime and just starting to make them again, I'm accumulating a lot of supplies already! Right now I'm using one of those large, blue storage bins (30 gal) you can get at Lowe's. They are also made from recycled plastic so in a way you're helping the environment. Just thought of something though....with all of my plastic disposable icing bags being tossed into our landfill, I probably am not helping it out at all...... icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

brandywinecakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:49pm
post #15 of 16

I store all my pans in big storage bins in my basement. It's the little stuff that I need organization for. icon_smile.gif

Liniti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liniti Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:24am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywinecakes

I store all my pans in big storage bins in my basement. It's the little stuff that I need organization for. icon_smile.gif

Lowe's makes smaller bins too......lol. Just kidding with you, I know what you mean about needing to keep everything together. Hope you find your solution soon, neighbor.....*waving*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%