Painting

Decorating By KellyZ Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 1:40am by 2txmedics

KellyZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyZ Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to try painting on a cake for the first time and have some questions I couldn't find elsewhere in the forums:

1. Is there any concern using vodka mixed with the gel colors for a child's cake? I am going to try painting on buttercream first.

2. How far does a few drops of coloring mixed with the liquid stretch? I will be using black.

Thanks for any help.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 4

............any concern using vodka mixed with the gel colors for a child's cake? ........
None what soever. The alcohol evaporates quickly. That is the reason for using something like vodka.
.......How far does a few drops of coloring mixed with the liquid stretch? I will be using black. ........
Oh wow, that's an extremely hard to answer ? icon_sad.gif
I think it would depend how how fast your paint before the alcohol evaporates. You can always add more vodka. It will give you more paint to use and eventually lighten it.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 4

I've never tried painting on bc....let me know how it works out. I have painted on fondant, with vodka, (no aftertaste, dries too quick), not a problem for children. I only have to mix very little of the black to make it work...

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 4

Ok, Ive only done this once....I had imprinted some hearts on the side of a cake, and I didnt know how to get red...so I poured 3 drops of vodka, and one toothpick of red...and painted the hearts.

Now im putting a boxer the size of a small footballl on a cake...its piped in black gel...you think I can get away with hand painting it???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%