Candy Gems - Need Help Brainstorming!

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm by janebrophy

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 12

So, I've been attempting to make candy jewels for an upcoming competition cake. The whole candy part sucks! LOL!! I tried using a gelatin mixture, that went pretty well actually, but they don't come out shiny enough. So far, the best method I could come up with to get the liquid into the mould is to use my turkey baster, with the flavour injector attachment (looks like a big needle). It was super accurate, and worked really well with the gelatin,but when I tried it with the candy, the liquid cooled off too quickly and plugged up the baster....Any ideas on some other tool I could use???

11 replies
krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 12

I used a metal baster without the attachment. It was a pain to make all that I needed but that was the only way I got it to work. I had to make a few batches due to hardening and discoloration.

Here's the cake I made all the jewels for: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_283473.html

janebrophy Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 12

Really nice cake! I found my baster drips liquid even when I'm not squeezing it, so it made a real mess without the attachment....maybe I need to shop for a better quality baster!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 12

wear latex gloves, a few pair to help, but use a parchment cone works. It is, uhmm, warm, but works.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:02am
post #5 of 12

I have been using the liquis method, and not adding any flavoring. I put it into a glass measuring cup with a pour spont on it and fill the jems that way.

Right now my husband has banned me from trying anymore. He says I make too big a mess. icon_eek.gif Can you imagine that?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:06am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

I have been using the liquis method, and not adding any flavoring. I put it into a glass measuring cup with a pour spont on it and fill the jems that way.

Right now my husband has banned me from trying anymore. He says I make too big a mess. icon_eek.gif Can you imagine that?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:21am
post #7 of 12

funny how you can make a mess and feed them dinner, but make a mess for a cake??? tapedshut.gif I'll be good now icon_biggrin.gif

janebrophy Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #8 of 12

LMAO!! Too funny!! I've been doing my experimenting while my DH is at work - what he doesn't know won't hurt him!!!

sugarprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarprincess Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:47am
post #9 of 12

I recently went to a cake decorating store and someone there told me that nicholas lodge crushes jolly rancher candies into silicone gem molds, puts them into the oven just until they are melted, then takes them out and lets them cool and harden. I have personally tried this myself yet, but it sound like it would work pretty good.

Lisa

janebrophy Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 12

I would try that, but I'm making clear gems....aren't Jolly Ranchers only coloured??

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:55pm
post #11 of 12

"Right now my husband has banned me from trying anymore. He says I make too big a mess. Can you imagine that?"
Are you standing over him with a whip and making HIM clean it up ?

WOMEN'S POEM
He didn't like the casserole

And he didn't like my cake.

He said my biscuits were too hard...

Not like his mother used to make.

I didn't perk the coffee right

He didn't like the stew,

I didn't mend his socks

The way his mother used to do.

I pondered for an answer

I was looking for a clue.

Then I turned around and smacked the crap out of him...

Like his mother used to do.

janebrophy Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 12

LOL!!! Thanks for that Grama_j!! That's definitely a keeper!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%