Practice Recipe?

Baking By MichelleM77 Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 4:13pm by HeidiCrumbs

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 10

I know there was a post on here where someone mentioned their mom's recipes for practice icing and practice cookie dough. I can't find it anywhere!

If someone has this and doesn't mind, could you please post a link or the recipes?

Thanks!

9 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 10

...it was a buttercream recipe.

ngfcake Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 10

There is a recipe of a practice "buttercream" in the cake bible. It uses shortening (1 1/2 cups), powdered sugar (4 cups), water (2 tbsp) and light corn syrup (1 tbsp).

I've never tried it.
HTH

MichelleM77 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:07am
post #4 of 10

Thanks guys. I ended up using W's class BC recipe, but I'm still lookin for the practice cookie recipe.

savethedate Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:13am
post #5 of 10

I have a book by Peggy Porschen and in it there is a basic sugar cookie recipes. I don't waste any flavor in them because I'm just practicing. The recipe is as follows:

1 3/4 sticks unsalted soft butter (I use margarine)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting

1. In mixer w/paddle cream the butter, sugar and any flavoring until well mixed and just becoming creamy in texture.
2. Beat in the egg until well combined. Sift in the flour and mix on low speed until a dough forms. Gather into a ball wrap it in plastic wrap and chill it for at least 1 hour.
3. Use cookie cutters to cut out the desired shapes, lay these on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill again for about 30 minutes and heat oven 350f baking time 6 to 10 minutes

Below is a link for a another basic sugar cookie recipe

http://bandb.about.com/od/cookierecipes/r/sugar_cookies.htm

Hope this helps

HeidiCrumbs Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:20am
post #6 of 10

I'm sorry, and I can't think of a way to say this so it doesn't sound snarky because it's not intended to, but why would you need a practice recipe? I may just totally be missing the boat on this one, but I'm just curious. Is it to practice decorating but then not eating? Or for pictures?

MichelleM77 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:28am
post #7 of 10

Yes, like dummy cakes.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:45am
post #8 of 10

Uummm, dummy cakes? Yeah, I guess I don't have a clue, lol.

kjgjam22 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:00am
post #9 of 10

dummy cakes are styrofoam in the shape of the cake. i have used them in class. but if i am going to practice at home i am going to bake the real thing. icon_smile.gif why have something that looks like cake that cant be eaten?? icon_smile.gif

HeidiCrumbs Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 10

Gotcha.

Guess if I'm going to use most of the same ingredients for a cookie I might as well make a regular cookie and give them away to friends. JMO though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%