Anyone Have Hobbies Non Related To Cakes

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 1:14am by hilly

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:36am
post #31 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

edna........don't forget "chocolate men" icon_biggrin.gif

Oh God...I just had this sudden desire for some chocolate..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:40am
post #32 of 110

from spring to fall when I'm not cake decorating, I'm gardening and in winter I watch spanish soap opera!

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:41am
post #33 of 110

I love reading, ....and playing lawn bowls...and no I'm not THAT old...its a young peoples game that old people can play LOL icon_biggrin.gif

oh yes and I like to think I can paint. Throw a lot of paint on a canvas and hope it looks ok. icon_smile.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:42am
post #34 of 110

I ride a Harley on trips with my husband and friends.
I do trail rides on horse back...used to show Tennessee Walking Horses.
I sew, I airbrush, and I still do hair for family and some friends. I styled hair for over 15 years.
I hang out with my two grandsons 10 and 6...always something new and exciting there...LOL!
I am semi-retired...so I work part time...set my own hours...loving it. icon_smile.gif

sweetcheeks75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcheeks75 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:44am
post #35 of 110

Hunting and Guiding with my Hubby. Love doing things with our children, and reading.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:03am
post #36 of 110

I like to cross stitch, take a million photos a week of my family, scrapbook them when I have time, do Cub Scouts, Church, read, camp, watch movies, visit my mom, and run around after my three rugrats (all in addition to cakes, of course). Phew, no wonder the dishes never get done!

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:07am
post #37 of 110

I did jewelry for 10 years along with lampworking beads. That is fading. I sew and sew and sew. I have always loved to cook and bake....married an italian and was literally given the family cookbook and a pizalle iron on our wedding....got to keep the family traditions and recipes going icon_rolleyes.gif I used to do quite a bit of folk art painting on anything. I try just about any crafty thing. Love to work with my hands. I read all the time....when I have time. I am a part-time assistant manager for Gymboree-LOVE IT!!!!!! But first of all I am a mommy!!!!!! And now I have an amazing passion for cakes - I just lose myself in them when I am working on one. icon_biggrin.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #38 of 110

I snowboard, play tennis, run marathons, work on cars, volunteer at the local horse farm and try to juggle grad school with all my hobbies (and full-time work!)

It's nice to hear everyones interests outside of our little cake bubble icon_smile.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:15am
post #39 of 110

KARAOKE!!! In the past year or so I've had to resort to online karaoke to get my fix though - as I'm getting a bit too old for the bar scene! LOL!

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:18am
post #40 of 110

Reading, gardening, knitting, crochet, sewing. I'd like to learn reupholstery when and if I can fit it in.

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:20am
post #41 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

geocaching, camping (we're a Scouting/Guiding family, can you tell?! icon_rolleyes.gif ), knitting, reading, gourmet cooking...I scrapbook too, but it just seems to be my cake portfolio that gets done right now!

I never heard of geocaching until I cam to Alaska..its big here..I have never personally done it but I have friends that love it!

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:25am
post #42 of 110

We camp (in the RV), fish..especially Halibut fishing, clamming in the summer, 4 wheeling and helping our friends build cabins. We also spend a large amount time watching one of daughters play competitive soccer. In between all of that I like to bake and watch food newtwork.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:29am
post #43 of 110

I love to basket weave, garden ,I have a house full of plants. I love to go antique-ing. Love the beach and could spend my life inside Disney World ( I think Mickey is my long lost brother ) I love Pets and of course spending time with my husband -kids and grandkids. My CC and caking is in the mist of all this !

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:36am
post #44 of 110

i am an ex collegiate athlete. i have played softball since i was 8 years old. i still play...i am 28, wishing i was still 20 playing in college! my travel team travels all over to play in tournaments. we were ranked 7th in the nation last year! i have gotten into dodgeball...no not the PE kind, the "movie" kind...LOL...it's very intense! i scrapbook and make custom invitations and stationery...oh...and i coach high school softball...does that count?

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:42am
post #45 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

edna........don't forget "chocolate men" icon_biggrin.gif

I think if I called mine a hobby he'd divorce me!... icon_lol.gif

But back to the thread.

I have done over the years many different crafting genres and so I guess I like crafting in general. But most of all I am a dancer. Ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical. modern, pointe...etc. I was fortunate to get to dance and choreograph professionally in my teens and early 20's, also taught dance from my teens to now (32 years as a dance educator), and a dance adjudicator for several national touring dance competitions for the past 15 years. Met my current husband judging my first dance comp in New Orleans.

Brontecakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:48am
post #46 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

KARAOKE!!! In the past year or so I've had to resort to online karaoke to get my fix though - as I'm getting a bit too old for the bar scene! LOL!

Oooh I loooove KARAOKE too. Give me a couple of drinks and mike and I think I am Bette Midler!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:14am
post #47 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontecakes

Quote:

Oooh I loooove KARAOKE too. Give me a couple of drinks and mike and I think I am Bette Midler!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

www.singsnap.com ... 'nuff said. icon_wink.gif

Brontecakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:24am
post #48 of 110
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontecakes

Quote:

www.singsnap.com... 'nuff said. icon_wink.gif

oh wow that is too cool! my neighbours hate me now whats it gunna be like when I start singing to the computer late at night icon_lol.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:07am
post #49 of 110

My other hobbies are biking, building computers, playing video games and D&D, reading, spoiling my guinea piggos, and drawing.

I used to be big time into online gaming, specifically: World of WarCraft, but cake decorating broke me of it. So now instead of spending all weekend on my butt in front of a computer screen wearing sweatpants, I spend all weekend on my butt in front of a turntable wearing powdered sugar. icon_lol.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:03am
post #50 of 110

I like puzzles & games of all kinds. Also am into scrapbooking but nothing fancy.

Then of course there's cooking which is how I got into baking which is how I got into caking...

I actually HATED hated HATED to cook when I was younger. Having a family of my own to cook for though has made it actually enjoyable. I actually started baking so my son & I could do something fun together and we can build memories.

And he LOVES it but it takes me longer to bake because he helps me icon_biggrin.gif. Luckily this is still in "hobby stage" so we still do most of it together - this way he can tell people he "helped make so and so's cake".

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:08am
post #51 of 110

I love all things crafty. Scrapbooking is a huge hobby, I'm now learning cake decorating and I'm learning to sew. My Nan started teaching me to knit but it's a bit too time consuming with 2 toddlers around! I love to make cards, jewellery and I love to make things for kids' parties and doing kiddie crafts with my children. I love taking photos and manipulating them in Photoshop too. I never sleep! I just wish my hobbies burned the calories for me ...

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:21am
post #52 of 110

Apparently another hobby of mine is using the word "actually" LOL. icon_redface.gif

Lori17201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori17201 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:28pm
post #53 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getus

Lori 17201,
Can you elaborate on "historical cooking"? Is this tied in with your re-enacting?

Yes it does. I belong to the SCA Society for Creative Anachronism, sca dot org It's an education group for mainly Medieval/ Renaissance re-creation. Foods cooked are as close to the original as possible, but depends on the year. Tomatoes, chocolate, potatoes, corn would not have been widely used in Europe until after the 1600's. The SCA covers from 1000-1650 AD. All countries and cultures.

I love all forms of cooking. My next venture is going to be sushi.

Hope that helps,
Lori

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:47pm
post #54 of 110

Jack of all trades, Master of none!..Ex art major here...if it's out there I've tried it..painting, sewing, home improvement, graphic design, etc...now cake decorating..always baking..if I could only narrow down all this - I'd actually might make some money off of it. lol

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:52pm
post #55 of 110

My other hobby besides decorating cakes is totally opposite: I lead a bible study called First Place 4 Health. It is a weight-loss program (kind of like weight watchers), but it includes a bible study as well. I have been doing this for 3 years now. I love teaching others about being healthy. I do tell them it is OK to eat a piece of cake at birthday parties or celebrations.......... I just tell them do not eat a corner piece.. go for the inside piece with the least amount of frosting! When people learn both of my hobbies, they always give me a confused look!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:52pm
post #56 of 110

I was taking ballroom dancing lessons and loved it. Great exercise and a great way to spend time with husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend. Unfortunately, I ran out of the $ that was required to keep taking the lessons! icon_cry.gif

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:07pm
post #57 of 110

I love to read probably more than anything...it's my biggest escape. But I also enjoy knitting, crocheting, scrapbooking, and baking. Attached is my most recent finished knitting project - a baby blanket for my best friend's son. I am also currently working on two prayer shawls (one knit, one crochet) with a group from my church.
LL

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:18pm
post #58 of 110

I was into textile art (hand and silk painting) and clothing design for many years. Turned it into a business and wholesaled nationally for about 5 years. Due to a genetic tremor, I had to quit because I couldn't do the detail work any more. It doesn't affect me too much decorating cakes with the exception of piping fine lines and putting small details on figures. I love the string work and piped lace but there is no way I can do it. It ends up looking like a sloppy zig zag stitch. lol.

I also raise Florida friendly plants and trees and belong to People for Trees here in our area. It's an organization that works with the city to try to prevent the developers from continuing the clear cutting of forests that they have done through the years. It's really caused a lot of problems with the environment here. They also help private owners and developers landscape with plants and trees that work with the Florida environment, can stand up to the heat, and are drought resistant.

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:27pm
post #59 of 110

I used to knit and cross stitch, not much time now ,I still once in a while go to my son's elementary school, like last week and tought some volunteer mothers how to make a beanie/hat with a round loom, and this wendesday I will teach them how to make an easy scarf with the long loom I LOVE volunteering in Band Boosters and Mariachi Boosters at my son's high school. and when I start singing outloud in my kitchen while decorating a cake, my DH whispers behind me: shsshhhsh, don't sing that loud, people might hear you! So you just can imagine me and karaoke! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
P.S. I still sing out loud in my kitchen, I think if God made canaries and crows and when he finished creating them said: It is good, he would not mind me singing (in my kitchen) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:14pm
post #60 of 110

I read, ride dirt bike, target shoot sometimes and sew a little.

Right now I'm in the middle of my big sew project for the year, my boys' grass dance regalia. I've been working on it for 3 weeks and hope to be done in time for the first pow-wow the begining of April. This is my second year doing this so I'm expanding and learning how to do beaded headbands and other Native American style beadwork.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%