Piping Gel

Decorating By Necey Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 8:21pm by JanH

Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 4

I found a recipe for piping gel on this site . I haven't made it yet but am wondering , #1. if I will be able to put it in an icing bag and write a name with it ? ...and #2. If it can be colored with the Wilton gel colors for different effects ? Thank you in advance to anyone who answers . I am new to all these ideas and methods but I love this site, everyone is so kind to share their ideas. icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 4

I have not made that recipe....but........I have heard from others who have made 'a' recipe (don't know if it's the same one) that 1) it is very runny; 2) it goes moldy very quickly.
If yu do get any positive answers, I'm sure there will be no problems us8ing the Wilton colors. Just remember generally piping gel takes color WELL....go sparingly. You can always add more but it's hard to take the color down once it is there.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 4

I have made this recipe..It is in fact quite runny and holds colors whether Wilton or Americolor well.I didn't keep it around long enough to get moldy..I dumped most of it out kept a bit after I used what I needed.I actually used it for water traps on a golf course and when I got up in the morning..The water or gel had seeped through the cake like the ponds had drained..I had to add more..Good thing I had a bit more.Luckily the cake was for my Dad for his birthday so he didn't care...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 4

Thread that compares various piping gel recipes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-57373-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%