Sticky Subject

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm by pipe-dreams

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 10

OK, so I am doing a shower cake with a baby on it. I have only communicated with the customer through emails as of right now. Plus, she's not the one who is pregnant. Last night I got to thinking, I can't assume what race they are. So I don't want to assume and make a copper baby if they are spanish or indian or whatever. I want to email the woman and ask her what color she wants the baby made, but I don't want to sound tacky or offend anyoneicon_smile.gif Can I just email and ask her what color to make the baby, or is that rude? Thanks!

9 replies
THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 10

I say e-mail them I'd rather them feel weird that you asked rather then mad because you made the "wrong" colored baby

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 10

I would e-mail and ask, there is nothing wrong with that. You will be glad you did.

volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 10

i would email them. if i got an email asking me which color to make the baby i wouldn't get offended...good luck!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 10

Good Question -
I see nothing wrong with sending a polite email asking

"Dear *****
might there be a preferance of origin for the baby you wish on the baby shower cake?"

Might sound a bit *sweet* but shows you have forthought.
Not everyone would think along those lines.
Credit to you.

Bh. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 10

Nothing wrong with asking.

I'd word it something like this.

Dear Mrs. _______

In reviewing your order for the baby shower cake I realize that there are some details that I need confirmed before I begin work on your cake order.
I know you want a baby on top of the cake however I need to know the ethnicity of the baby.

Your quick response is appreciated.

Sincerely,

pipe-dreams Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks you all so much! I just didn't want to assume what color baby to make, and didn't know if someone might find that question offensive! Thanks again!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 10

I've made that phone call to a customer. The customer was impressed that I thought to ask. No problems at all!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 10

could you also mention that getting colors spot on is important to you. maybe she could give you a reference as to what the color of the skin might look like. i had someone order a cookie family and they wanted them cafe au lait.....

pipe-dreams Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you allicon_smile.gif I just got a reply email from her and she wants it hispanic. So, it's a good thing I thought of asking, or I would have felt terribleicon_smile.gif Any suggestions on making that color? Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%