Sticky Subject

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm by pipe-dreams

pipe-dreams Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 10

OK, so I am doing a shower cake with a baby on it. I have only communicated with the customer through emails as of right now. Plus, she's not the one who is pregnant. Last night I got to thinking, I can't assume what race they are. So I don't want to assume and make a copper baby if they are spanish or indian or whatever. I want to email the woman and ask her what color she wants the baby made, but I don't want to sound tacky or offend anyoneicon_smile.gif Can I just email and ask her what color to make the baby, or is that rude? Thanks!

9 replies
THECAKEPLACE Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 10

I say e-mail them I'd rather them feel weird that you asked rather then mad because you made the "wrong" colored baby

ssunshine564 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 10

I would e-mail and ask, there is nothing wrong with that. You will be glad you did.

volleyball47 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 10

i would email them. if i got an email asking me which color to make the baby i wouldn't get offended...good luck!

Bluehue Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 10

Good Question -
I see nothing wrong with sending a polite email asking

"Dear *****
might there be a preferance of origin for the baby you wish on the baby shower cake?"

Might sound a bit *sweet* but shows you have forthought.
Not everyone would think along those lines.
Credit to you.

Bh. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 10

Nothing wrong with asking.

I'd word it something like this.

Dear Mrs. _______

In reviewing your order for the baby shower cake I realize that there are some details that I need confirmed before I begin work on your cake order.
I know you want a baby on top of the cake however I need to know the ethnicity of the baby.

Your quick response is appreciated.

Sincerely,

pipe-dreams Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks you all so much! I just didn't want to assume what color baby to make, and didn't know if someone might find that question offensive! Thanks again!

leah_s Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 10

I've made that phone call to a customer. The customer was impressed that I thought to ask. No problems at all!

kneadacookie Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 10

could you also mention that getting colors spot on is important to you. maybe she could give you a reference as to what the color of the skin might look like. i had someone order a cookie family and they wanted them cafe au lait.....

pipe-dreams Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you allicon_smile.gif I just got a reply email from her and she wants it hispanic. So, it's a good thing I thought of asking, or I would have felt terribleicon_smile.gif Any suggestions on making that color? Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%