Freezing A Cake Filled With Whipped Ganache

Decorating By saramachen Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm by ThatsHowTcakesRolls

saramachen Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I did a forum search and there were a few threads but they were all mixed answers... so i will ask myself and maybe try a test cake just to know for sure.....

I am making a topsy turvy for a bday party in a couple of weeks, I want to bake, stack, fill and carve, wrap and then freeze. Then I can just thaw, crumb coat and decorate (fondant) a few days prior to the party.

I was planning on using a whipped ganache as a filling. Im just not sure that it will freeze well. Any thoughts?

9 replies
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:01am
post #2 of 10

mgigglin Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:14am
post #3 of 10

What's whipped ganache? icon_redface.gif

Is it as yummy as it sounds? Please tell me more icon_lol.gif

grama_j Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 10

I've never tried freezing it, but this should give you a bump......

ceshell Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:44am
post #5 of 10

Yes, you can freeze whipped ganache. Although I have never frozen it IN a cake, I have made it and frozen leftovers all the time. I probably have some in my freezer right now.

To answer the PP, for whipped ganache you cool your freshly made ganache overnight (room temperature) until it is firm and creamy but not rock solid (like it would be if you put it in the fridge). Then you just whip it. It doesn't take long, for me it's probably less than 30 seconds. The ganache lightens in color and increases in volume due to the added air. Do not over-whip or you will break the ganache - it will turn grainy on you.

I love the stuff, it's great for icing.

mgigglin Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:25am
post #6 of 10

thank you!! I can't wait to try this! icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 10

I've never left mine to cool overnight...... I just let it come to room temp. Sometimes I put it in the fridg. to speed it up, but not for long.....

maggiev777 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 10

This is a great question, though unfortunately I think people get different results! I have frozen ganache in a cake before. It froze ok, but the problem was that when it thawed, it never became completely soft again like it was before I froze it.

I will freeze ganache in a cake again, if necessary, but must admit that so far I prefer the texture when it has not been frozen.

saramachen Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for your replies... Im now leaning towards filling with toba garretts chocolate buttercream... People rave about and it has some ganache in it and i think it would freeze better.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 10

In my experience this probably wouldn't work. I didn't actually freeze the cake but instead, it was after I had iced the cake and put it in my cooler. It was a ganache filled cake and it was only in the cooler for about 4 hours after decorating before it had to be delivered. My assistant happened to be a guest at the wedding and was the one cutting the cake. She said that the ganache was hard to cut through - this was after it had been sitting at room temperature for at least 4-5 hours before it was cut too.

I've always said I would never let a cake sit in the cooler that long again with ganache filling for this reason...

Quote by @%username% on %date%