Rotten Cake

Decorating By Caths_Cakes Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 7:16pm by Cakechick123

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so not my disaster. but i feel super terrible about this icon_sad.gif

my friend got married last week, a very small doo, on a very low budget, she had originally asked me to make her wedding cake, but at the time of the wedding, i was also moving house, had to decline but gave her a number of a friend of mine who also makes cakes, shes an eldery woman but extreemly talented, shes got like 30 years worth of practise on me anyway, my friend was a little sad, but after seeing this other womans work, she was really pleased with it. Was just a simple fruit cake, white iced heart shaped with a flower spray ontop.

So anyway, the day of the wedding comes and goes, im thinking all turned out well , then 3 days after the wedding , the bride back from hunny moons rings me in tears. they hadnt served the cake at the wedding but kept it as center piece, and gave guests slices of a serving cake which was aparantly delishious!

they had came home, and cut the cake at home, and inside it was . . moldy!!!! my friend is gutted, the old lady had apologised over and over and doesnt know why its gone bad , its a fruit cake after all. and also refunded her money. but my friend is still so sad, i feel bad now thinking, i should have said yes and done it anyway !!!!

im just so glad she didnt cut it at the recption!!!!!!

6 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 7

Why do you feel badly? You couldn't do the cake, told her so, she found someone else.

Not your fault the cake was improperly prepared.

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 7

is it possible that the cake was improperly stored while they were on their honeymoon? maybe it was put in a really moist and warm place which could have made the fruit spoil while they where gone.

Don't feel badly about it! Things happen!!!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 7

i dunno i just do, just keep thinking, if i had done the cake, that wouldnt have happened, but who knows , she never said how she stored it, Never mind icon_sad.gif feel bad for my friend too, she was telling me she never has complaints and this is a first for her too.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 7

I wonder if the old lady sold her an old cake. It should not have gotten moldy so quickly. Being elderly maybe she was not up to making the fruitcake (lots of time and work) and possibly gave one she had stored.

That is so tragic.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 7

At least no one got sick from it, and they had another cake to serve from at the wedding. They got their money back too, without any fuss from your other decorator friend. Are they just upset they didn't get to eat the cake they'd saved while on their honeymoon? If you feel that badly about it, maybe you could make them one just like it if it's not too much trouble, then they can still have some cake if they just want more cake to eat?

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 7

maybe the fruit she used was a bit off, sometimes its difficult to see if the fruit has gone a bit mouldy.
Have to agree with LadyDZA's comment icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%