Castle Cake Help!!! Please!!!!!!!

Decorating By lolobell Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm by jlynnw

lolobell Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making the Wilton Castle Cake again. This time I would like to apply my MMF not only to the sides of the cake but to the plastic pillars and turrets. Will my MMF just stick to the plastic without help or should I coat them first with BC or something else????

Also, Will a center dowel through both tiers, along with the dowels in place to seperate tiers be enough for travel? It has to go about 28 miles from my house? It will have a bottom tier that is 10 inch round (4 inches) and a 6 inch round (4 inches)...

Thank you all in advance

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 6

It should stick w/o help but........if you have any problems just dampen them. You don't want them wet, just lightly sprayed...

lolobell Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Kakeladi...could you help me with my second question about the dowels and travel?

kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 6

Well I've never made that particular cake but spill the beans and I'll see if I can helpicon_smile.gif

lolobell Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 6

I'm making the Wilton Castle....

the bottom tier is a 10 inch round (4 inches high), the top is 6 inch (4 inches high)... I use wooden dowels in the bottom tier to support the top and then the peaks/turrets that stand on top get a dowel through them for extra support. My concern is I thought I would put one center dowel all the way through the cake hoping that would support the entire cake. I've never traveled with a cake this size of with more than one tier so I'm soo nervous.
not sure what else I can tell you but if you need particular info ask away.

I guess since I'm so new to this, I'm worried about the cake tipping over, sliding layers what have you!

jlynnw Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 6

I made the Wilton castle cake. The hardest part are the turets and peaks. They do not stay put. The chocolate dowel to add to them did not work for me. I drilled a small hole, the size of wood dowels and insereted them up the full length of the turret and used the chocolate to glue them in place. I misted the peaks to get my fondant to stick, they did not want to hold the fondant w/o. I placed three dowels for security. I placed them off a bit from where the turrets went. I saved the turrets on top to place on site. Worked for me. Traveled 2 1/2 hours with it. I froze keeping the AC on high!

Quote by @%username% on %date%