How On Earth Is This Effect Created? Help Appreciated!

Decorating By joanna3292 Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 10:55pm by tonedna

joanna3292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanna3292 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 26

Ive seen this effect on a website and would really love to recreate something similar, I know our local supermarket is doing a similar sort of thing where you can take in a photo and they print it onto edible paper and stick it on the top of the cake but this is something completely different - the colours are much more vibrant and the picture beautifully covers the whole top of the cake AND the sides... has anyone any idea at all how this is done? I'd love to do something similar for my sons birthday.
LL

25 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 26

It almost has to have been done w/an airbrush. It is some of the best airbrushing I have seenicon_smile.gif
You would mask off the yellow part; airbrush the dark color 1st, then add the yellow ...... letting some of it become 'overspray' into the dark area.
As for the planet and the white w/black 'guy'....again one would mask off that part before airbrushing the dark color; stencils have to have been used icon_smile.gif

joanna3292 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 26

many thanks for your reply, i agree that it looks like airbrushing but heres another picture from the same site and its even more detailed, surely even with stencils you couldnt get that effect?
LL

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 26

what is the website?

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 26

Wow, that is crazy!! I've been looking for a similar technique to get very thin stripes flat & even over a cake....almost looks like a computer generated image printed out onto an edible medium?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 26

I had to do a search, those are terrific. I found them here -
https://www.cakestoyourdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Boys_Birthday_Cakes.html

In the enlargement of the princess cake, you can see a seam going up the right corner.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 26

I would say an edible image on the cakes. All they would need is a bigger printer that prints wider/longer prints.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 26

delete

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 26

It definatly looks like a Giant edible image! very cool!!

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 26

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like Photoshop?

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 26

If you look at the railway cake..and click to enlarge..you can see the seams on top of the cake and on the corners.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 26

I would also say its an edible image. I did a cake with a damask pattern last week and managed to get them lined up almost perfectly. the only seam you could see was at one corner at the back where the pattern didnt meet up exactly

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1319310

you could probably space the added goodies to hide any obvious seams

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasmama

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like Photoshop?

This is my first thought... sorry the colors and how the shadows fall don't jive. Not to mention the way the other decorations seem to float on the cakes, and have weird shadows...

Not to say they don't lay a huge edible image on the cake and cut and trim, but no edible image can product those colors that well, and be rephotographed with missing colors. I think the company had someone photoshop the cakes with the image to be printed.... so think of it as virtual cake decorating...

imo.

props if its real... but I use photoshop frequently and I know what it is capable of....

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:02pm
post #14 of 26

Yes, once I knew what to look for, I can see most of the seams.

So... a large flat fondant, run through an edible printer; then trimmed, set on the cake, seams at the corners? Like making a paper box.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:09pm
post #15 of 26

I if you click on the images you can make them look bigger. So how some of the cakes have the edible image tearing.. looked like they lay the EI on the fondant then cover? ehh i dont know.

All I know is SOMETHING is photoshopped for the sake of marketing... I see missing pixels and bad color matching...

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 26

You could send the company an email by way of their "Contact Us" page on their website and ask if they are willing to share their technique.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:30pm
post #17 of 26

To me they look like edibles and then the are retouched with an airbrush so the colors blend on the fondant.
Edna

joanna3292 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

I if you click on the images you can make them look bigger. So how some of the cakes have the edible image tearing.. looked like they lay the EI on the fondant then cover? ehh i dont know.

All I know is SOMETHING is photoshopped for the sake of marketing... I see missing pixels and bad color matching...

Thanks so much for the replies, I just KNEW that this forum would be able to help! Riana I love the cake you did and the edible image looks fantastic, I would never have thought of using them like that.

Rocketgirl, you said that they may have layed the EI on the fondant and then cover - what do you think they would cover it with?

I would never have thought about the images being photoshopped but that makes sense as the only edible images I have ever seen have got really dull colours. Does anyone know why that is and whether there is another option to get brighter colours? Thanks again

tonedna Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:34pm
post #19 of 26

I just enlarged the photo, the borders of the pics look like edibles when you cut them out. I am almost sure they are edibles. The artwork seems to be specially done to fit the cake decor.
Edna

tonedna Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna3292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

Thanks so much for the replies, I just KNEW that this forum would be able to help! Riana I love the cake you did and the edible image looks fantastic, I would never have thought of using them like that.

Rocketgirl, you said that they may have layed the EI on the fondant and then cover - what do you think they would cover it with?

I would never have thought about the images being photoshopped but that makes sense as the only edible images I have ever seen have got really dull colours. Does anyone know why that is and whether there is another option to get brighter colours? Thanks again

I think is the fact that the paper is edible that changes a bit the quality of the colors. If you print your photo in a regular paper you will see a difference. Plus the color of your base will affect the edible too.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #21 of 26

Cool cakes! It does look like they airbrushed the colors and then applied the edible images to create the whole look. I wonder if it was something like a chocolate transfer sheet that was applied to the cake in one swoop? Let us know if they tell you what they did. Im dieing to know!
Riana great damask cake! Looks like you used the stencils they sell cause it came out so nice!

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #22 of 26

I was thinking transfer sheets as well. IMO

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 10:02pm
post #23 of 26

Has anyone else noticed that EVERY single cake of theirs is square? Except for their cupcakes, but I just thought it was kinda strange that there is only one shape. I wonder if they only sell square cakes lol. I do think they use edible images as well. How can they sell some of those cake that are copyrighted? Is it different in other countries, I doubt it, but just curious.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #24 of 26

They only sell a 8" square and a 10" square.

Judi

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #25 of 26

The fact that they only offer two sizes of sq cakes makes sense if they have a special machine that is printing frosting sheet pix. It's probably the only way they can do that special work.
I know I need new glasses but even looking at the enlarged pix I could not see any seams icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 10:55pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

The fact that they only offer two sizes of sq cakes makes sense if they have a special machine that is printing frosting sheet pix. It's probably the only way they can do that special work.
I know I need new glasses but even looking at the enlarged pix I could not see any seams icon_smile.gif

Check the cake with the Medieval theme..I do see seams..I do have 20/20.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%