My Icing Is Behaving Differently Now...

Decorating By Getus Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 1:29am by Getus

Getus Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 4

I use Indydebi's BC recipe. Love it, btw! I used to make it using Crisco and Walmart PS. Recently switched to hi ratio shortening and C&H PS...love the taste and mouth feel using these. However....
ever since I switched my icing will not smooth out nearly as nicely. I have to literally work and work and work...I feel as though I'm fighting a real battle. Then, there are still crater like spots in the icing that I just cannot get filled in and smoothed nicely. I used to get my cakes almost perfectly smooth and now I'm not achieving that pristine look. icon_cry.gif Any ideas? Any advice? Oh....and I also started adding a tsp of white vinegar to prevent any cracking...could that be the problem?

*scratching head and wondering what the heck*

TIA!
Carla

3 replies
Getus Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 4

I want to add....it's almost like it's too "sticky" now...takes much longer to crust...and then is very difficult to smooth.

kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 4

If you were always getting cracks then you need to increase the shortening some rather than useing vinegar.

Getus Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #4 of 4

No, I never had cracking before...I just read on here that adding vinegar would prevent cracking, so I started adding it. I will delete the vinegar...as it is not really needed anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%