Coupon Game Worth It?

Lounge By mellormom Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 4:16am by HowCoolGomo1

mellormom Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 15

Does it really work that well? It's sounds good but I wanted to see if anyone has had any good experiences to share. Before I take the plunge. icon_smile.gif LOL

14 replies
jen1977 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 15

I do the grocery game, and have for over a year. My weekly grocery bill went from around $100 a week, the about $30-45 a week, depending how much produce and milk I need, and if have run out of any type of meat. I have had weeks when I spent as little as $12. The first weeks during the trial can be a little frustrating since you are still getting all of your Q's together. I would suggest you start buying your papers now, and collect your Q's for 3-4 weeks, then start. You still won't have them all, but your lists will work much better for you. Buy one paper for each member of your family.

butternut Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 15

I've never heard of this. Can someone PLEASE fill me in? I'm always looking for ways to save some money.. Thanks!!

TooMuchCake Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 15

It's a good way to save a lot of money - but it does require a time commitment to sorting and planning. Just think of it as a little part-time job. Jen1977 is right that you should start saving up your coupons now and wait two or three weeks before joining, so that you can hit the ground running.

I'm not a member anymore, so things may have changed, but a lot of the things we could get a super deals were junk or convenience foods. I have some health requirements that seriously limit my intake of sugar (oh, the irony) and wheat products, so I dropped out when once I had a huge stockpile of toothpastes and shampoos and other staples.

It was common for me to save half, or more than half, of my grocery bill.

Oh, and one thing I did - I paid my son a small amount (I think it was something like a penny per coupon) to sort them alphabetically by brand into an accordion binder. That made it easy for me to find what I wanted, and meant I didn't have to spend as much time sorting.

costumeczar Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 15

it's, right?

mellormom Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:58am
post #6 of 15

Thanks everyone. I'll have to try it.

mellormom Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 15

I've signed up and I'll let you know how it goes. icon_smile.gif

cambo Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 15

I looked into it a little over a year ago, and it wouldn't have been as beneficial for our family as it's just me and my husband now and we usually only eat fresh foods and produce and purchase them as we need them, plus I don't need 50 containers of shampoo, deordorant and/or other cleansers! HOWEVER, if I had kids at home you can save some serious dough if you play it right! Also, folks need to include the cost of the papers and the lists in their savings, as well as the cost of their time in sorting...and since my business has grown my time is more expensive than ever!

It's also a great way to prepare/ship items to our troops overseas....items they need like shampoo, snacks, deordorant, etc.! My SIL plays and donates many of her items to care packages because they didn't cost her a penny!

sweetness_221 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:30am
post #9 of 15

I do something similar. I don't pay for the service though. What I do is take the 2 main grocery stores that I normally go to and compare what's on sale to what I need. Then I use coupons from the sunday paper and the internet coupons. Plus the shopper card that I use at one of my stores has a program where you can download coupons straight to the card. No clipping necessary. The last shopping trip I did I bought $250 worth of groceries, but only paid $125. My DH is thrilled that we are saving so much. HTH.

jen1977 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 15

We really buy mostly fresh foods using the GG. I have about 3 packages of flavored rice in my pantry and some mac and cheese, but besides that, I don't buy or prepare processed foods much. I do have about 6 bottles of shampoo, deodorant, and body wash, but they were all free. I haven't paid for h&b, cleaning products, and lots of makeup for well over a year. you really can tailor it to your families needs.

butternut Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 15

jen1977 just curious, because you don't purchase much in the way of processed foods. Do you make your own soups and sauces, etc? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:35pm
post #12 of 15

The grocery game is a beautiful thing. The key, as a few others have mentioned is collect and organize your coupons for a few weeks before the trial period. During the trial period sign up for every store available in your area and then cut out the ones that don't benefit you before they charge the real price.

I stopped playing when my brother came home from Iraq.

I still have 28 full size stick deodorants for men and women, 100% free.
I still have 7 tubes of toothpaste also free.
Unfortunately I've run out of shampoo and conditioner.
I'm scared to count all the free toothbrushes.
I haven't had to pay for bandaids for years.

I bought plenty of fresh foods and baking supplies are quite the deal.

You don't have to stock up for Armageddon like I did and still do. I bought that way because I was sending supplies to my brother and his team in Iraq. I also live in the country and the closest grocery store, 13 miles away, is more expensive than the convenience store 5 miles away.

Grocery stores are on 12 week cycles so really you only need to get stocked and replenish as you need.

Some stores have limits on how many Q's you can use per like item. Most stores will not give you money back if your coupons add up to more than your grocery bill, some of the systems apply the overrun to the continuing bill.

One store in my area used to have triple coupon sales. One sale I paid $12.50 for $250 worth of groceries. Another sale I paid $250 for $900 worth of groceries. I've just now completely gone through all of those groceries (dry staples) last month. After that ended I still would save 60%, just not the 85% I had come to love.

The hardest thing is not to overbuy, it's as addictive as this site. You do have to find storage in your home. Some of the places people come up with are hilarious.

The only thing that saddened me about the game is my Costco rebate check would run about $40. I like it to be over $150 so my cards for them and Sam's are basically free.

I haven't played for about 3 years now, but am starting back up. My brother is going back to Iraq this week and I now have to provide for the camp house supplies.

Also if you have expired Q's those can be sent to overseas military bases, because they are honored for another 6 months. How and where to send is on the chat board.

Also don't specifically name your deals on the chat board, because you will get edited.

Hope this helps.

butternut Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 15

For anyone who may be interested, I contacted someone about the stores and asked if the military Commissary was on the list and I was told no, not at this time but to check back at a later date.

jen1977 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm
post #14 of 15
Originally Posted by butternut

jen1977 just curious, because you don't purchase much in the way of processed foods. Do you make your own soups and sauces, etc? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

My boys are pretty picky with things like soups and sauces, so
I do make most of them. I got do buy dry pasta and egg noodles, but cook the chickens that I get really cheap for chicken noodle soup, free the rest of the chicken for enchiladas, etc. My boys don't like red sauce, so we don't eat much of it, and when dh and I do eat it, I make it from canned tomatos and fresh herbs. We make alfredo sauce quite a bit, and I make that. I make all gravies we may use. My boys would rather have stouffers mac and cheese or kraft instead of homemade, so we do buy it occasionally. We do buy eggos for some school mornings. The grocery game is what you make it! It is worth it for the free or $o.12 cleaners you get, almost free or free toilet paper, free h&b items, etc. I supplement at Trader Joe's what I don't get on my lists, and still average less than $50 a week for a family of four, including paper products, cleaning supplies, etc.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #15 of 15

If you're lazy and need someone to tell you how to use your coupons every week, then you have way too much money. GG is not for you.

Now if you're someone who likes to pay off the credit cards every month and the principle of whatever loan you have at the moment. GG could be your best friend.

I personally don't have a mortgage or a car payment. I own my home and car. I also own the shoes I wear out every 3 months. I also get to purchase whatever I want whenever I want it.

Did GG make the above happen? NO!, My mother did it!

GG, just helped me make the money last longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%