Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 4:41am by pipe-dreams

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 9:43am
post #1 of 4

Anyone have any tips on how to do this... like how you shape a dog or a truck or somethimg? Do you draw on the cake??? icon_smile.gif

3 replies
marion123 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:42am
post #2 of 4

I'm doing two number cakes in April that have to be carved and I've been learing alot on YouTube.. You just type in.. How to carve a dog cake, and you'll get a video...

I just learned about Crumb Coating on Youtube yesterday..

TooMuchCake Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 4

Carving cakes is one of those things that everyone has their own methods for, so if you do a search, you'll probably find a lot of different methods available. Do some practice cakes and see what works best for you. There's no "wrong way" as long as it gets the job done.

I start my students out with pound cakes, but I think you already know to use a sturdy cake.

I also have them use paper templates for the carving, just as a person would do if they were doing a wood carving. I give them top view and side view templates to use until they become comfortable enough to carve freehand.

Many people use knives to carve, but I don't. I always use my tapered angled spatula because it gives me a lot of control in the detailed areas.

Personally, I prefer to cover my sculptures in buttercream as long as they don't have any (or at least not many) gravity-defying elements. I pipe the icing on rather than try to apply it with a spatula. That cuts down on crumbs.

You can see some in-progress sculptures on my website at or you can look in my photos here and see some of the ones I've done.

pipe-dreams Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:41am
post #4 of 4

I have done a fire truck and a train 3D cake. The train was my first 3d and my first full fondant cake. I don't draw very well, so I just picture what I want to do in my head. Before I cut anything, even with my knife right there, I triple check my design. I recommend always starting out cutting less than you think, only because you can always carve off more, but once you cut it off it's harder to "glue" it back with buttercream. Granted, mine were not super complicated, but they turned out good. I haven't drawn on a cake, but it's all up to you what works best for youicon_smile.gif I know the pillow cakes you "draw" on it first, then carve. Definitely check out youtube like the others said. Good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%