Fondant

Decorating By dreamdelights Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 7:55pm by STRAWBERRY1390

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:44am
post #1 of 10

I tried satin ice for the first time and hated it because it kept tearing. The upside is it taste good. What can I do to stop the tearing. Second what do I use to secure the flowers in place. They kept falling off the cake. Help!!! I bake only for friends but want to improve

9 replies
Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:00am
post #2 of 10

Well I would suggest that you roll the fondant a little thicker. Satin Ice is actually very nice to wrk with but yes can tear easily. Also you can attach flowers or other dcorations with a little water on a paintbrush. HTH Good Luck!

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:22am
post #3 of 10

My flowers dried hard and I did try to attach with water but it fell off. I wondered royal icing would have made a difference. How can roll it out fondant thicker when I am covering a large cake. Does it depends on the amount of fondant that is used.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:39am
post #4 of 10

You can also maker a "glue" out of tylose and water. Use a paintbrush to apply

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:45am
post #5 of 10

The thinner you roll it the easier it will tear, yes.
If you need to cover a large cake try rolling the fondant then, roll it onto your rolling pin. Move the cake as close as possible to the pin and begin unrolling it off the pin and onto the cake. Try to center it before you begin
placing it on the cake. The less maneuvering you do the better. I like to roll my fondant to about 3/8" thickness.

HTH

pastrychef22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef22 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:54am
post #6 of 10

I think youwill find if you roll the fondant out thicker you will get less tearing. You can go to Satin Ice's website and get the sheet that showes you how much fondant you need to cover the size cake that you are working with.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

The thinner you roll it the easier it will tear, yes.
If you need to cover a large cake try rolling the fondant then, roll it onto your rolling pin. Move the cake as close as possible to the pin and begin unrolling it off the pin and onto the cake. Try to center it before you begin
placing it on the cake. The less maneuvering you do the better. I like to roll my fondant to about 3/8" thickness.

HTH

I meant to say I roll my fondant to 3/16". Sorry icon_sad.gif

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 10

Hello, I am having a similar problem...and i also am using satin ice. My fondant isnt tearing its more like cracking. My advance fondant instructer told me to add shortening when he demonstrated (using my fondant) it didnt crack (on dummie). However on my real cake it is cracking. I have completed two cakes so far with this batch of fondant, one wonder mold and a 10"x 4". Any ideas will be helpfull and appreciated.

Thank you kindly,
Strawberry1390 icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:53am
post #9 of 10

One thing you have to consider is if you had a bad batch. I actually think I have a bad batch since it kept cracking and tearing.

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

One thing you have to consider is if you had a bad batch. I actually think I have a bad batch since it kept cracking and tearing.

How would you know if you had a bad batch....color, smell, taste...? all of those looked pretty good to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%