Whitest Butter?

Decorating By stephbakes Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 3:07am by SugaredUp

stephbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephbakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:35am
post #1 of 6

(my first post!)

I was just wondering if anyone has compared unsalted butter brands, and determined which is the "whitest"?

I made IMBC today with Safeway's Lucerne unsalted and it came out very ivory--in the past, I used something else (Costco's, maybe?) and it wasn't nearly as yellow.

: ) happy caking!

5 replies
HoldensNanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoldensNanny Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:39am
post #2 of 6

I use Harris Teeter store brand unsalted butter and I think it is retty white. I do not know if you have those stores in your area. I'd be interested in seeing all the answers to this post.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 6

The naturally whitest butter is a gourmet butter called Plugra. I think you can find it at Whole Foods.

I never really looked at butter grades before, but I definitely find that purchasing AAA or AA grade sweet cream butter makes a difference in the color. Creaming it longer also makes it appear whiter.

If your buttercream is too yellow for your purpose, you can add a dot or 2 of violet gel paste color to it while it's mixing and it will turn a lovely white.

HTH
Rae

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 6

I use white marjorine. It's vegetable oil based. I use it in my BC along with clear butter flavor. I get the marjorine at Gordon's Food Service.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:03am
post #5 of 6

When using margarine in buttercream, it may be necessary to significantly adjust the amount of liquids in the recipe, as margarine has a much higher water content than butter.

Rae

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:07am
post #6 of 6

I didn't realize that - but my recipe calls for white marjorine anyway. It's the Supreme Butter Cream recipe posted here on CC if the OP wants to try it. I love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%