Fondant And Humidity?

Decorating By Tinabug1979 Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 1:44pm by Tinabug1979

Tinabug1979 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to this website and new to fondant. Any advice would be a big help. I have made two cakes with fondant, and it was a breeze. I made my own fondant, it rolled out nicely, and everything. My 3rd cake on the other hand was a different story, I used the same fondant recipe as before, but while I was rolling it out, it started to crack and dry out. I had two separate batches of fondant, They both done the same way, I kneaded some crisco in it, it still cracked, I put it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up, rolled it, and it still cracked. So, what i'm wondering is, Since the air here has been so dry, Could the humidity play a big part in it drying out or keeping moist, in such a short amount of time? I'm just confused, B/c it worked so well 2 times before that. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
pastryjen Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 5

I would say that you are right - the drier it is outside, the less icing sugar is needed. You really have to go by feel as opposed the the recipe.

Did you by chance roll it out with cornstarch? That will dry things up!

ChocolateCraftKits Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 5

The gelatin is what is holding the fondant together; sometimes a bit of mismeasurement here can be disastrous, or not blooming the gelatin well enough, not having enough water to "gel" it, or even too much shortening will keep the gelatin from performing well. Peggy @ www.chocolatecraftkits.com
LL

Teknosugar Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 5

I live in New Mexico, and before I lived in England so the difference in Humidity is amazing.. and very annoying when it comes to cakes... The first one I made for my brother in laws wedding, i went in completely confident of being able to use fondant and make the cake they wanted and it was a disaster! It cracked everywhere! Everyone was very nice about it but I was completely mortified!
I found that crisco can go a long way but i also found getting a humidifier on really dry days and having it on full blast for about a hour before hand and while I am working with the fondant works wonders! Its worth a try.. and My fondant hasn't been a problem since. We have only about 15% humidity. Hope this helps.

Tinabug1979 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much, This has helped. The sad thing about this is, I do have a humidifier that my son uses from time to time, So, i will surely try this next time! Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%