Velvet With Cream Cheese Or Mary Kay

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 2:17am by pipe-dreams

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a velvet cake, and I saw a lot of people like it paired with the mary kay icing on here. Is this something I can attach gumpaste figures to easily? Also, will the mary kay icing be too sweet if I add a little bit of buttercream on the borders? Or would you recommend the cream cheese b/c it's not as sweet? Sorry, I've never had red velvet cake so I don't know which would taste bettericon_smile.gif Thank you all so much for all the help I've gotten on here. This is the best website! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 4

The jury is still out on this one.

I prefer it with the Mary Kay icing. It's not very sweet, so using the bc for borders will not hurt it.

On the other hand, Mary Kay is made with milk, so it might pick up the flavor of the cream cheese icing.

If you're doing basic borders, nothing fancy, you might be able to use the Mary Kay, if you bag it, then refrigerate it for a few minutes, before using.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 4

My personal preference is the Mary Kay icing. Cream cheese icing, IMO, is too sweet and overwhelms the cake.

This is just preference, though.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 4

Can attach fondant decorations to both icings easily? And could I still use bc to attach them? Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%