Help!!!bulging Sides

Decorating By furgerson5 Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 6:19pm by bankingatthebeach

furgerson5 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 6

I think I used too much filling and the sides are bubbling and bulging. What can I do icon_cry.gif

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 6

I would say take a spatula and strip all the icing off the sides and try and scrape down the excess filling that is bulging out.I always like to fill and stack my cakes at least a day or more before so that they can settle and if they do bulge I can fix it before the final coat goes on outside.HTH. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 6

Be sure you have a good stiff dam also, to hold the filling in. It's kind of late for this cake but a good trick is to fill the cake, crumbcoat and place a medium weight book (wrapped) on top of the cake. Let settle overnight or a few hours if you can. Any bulging will be easily fixed before you apply the final icing.

Good luck, I hope you can fix it.

furgerson5 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the help! I crumb coated last night and after I put the fondant on I noticed the bubbling. Oh well...fixed as good as possible.

howsweet Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:36am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Be sure you have a good stiff dam also, to hold the filling in. It's kind of late for this cake but a good trick is to fill the cake, crumbcoat and place a medium weight book (wrapped) on top of the cake. Let settle overnight or a few hours if you can. Any bulging will be easily fixed before you apply the final icing.

Good luck, I hope you can fix it.

What a lovely piece of advice - I posted the same problem on another thread. Thanks!

bankingatthebeach Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 6

I was having the same problem with the cake having that bulge in the middle and read somewhere about the dam. It works great and havnt had a bulge since!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%