Stacking A Ball Cake

Decorating By Lenette Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 4:39am by indydebi

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 6

I need to do a cake with the round ball stacked as the top cake. Any tips on how to do this and keep it stable? Do I treat it the same as any other cake?

I am a little nervous about it as the client needs to transport the cake to another town, maybe 40 or so min from here.
TIA! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 6

Yep, I'd put a cardboard or foamcore under it and drive a dowel through it, pretty much like you'd do for a regular cake.

I gotta admit, though, that the client transporting that for 40min makes my knees weak.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 6

Dowel the crap out of it and fridge it nice and firm. Tell her she has to drive the 40 min. with NO heat on in the car. Bundle up good!!! I've driven with stacked cakes before that have made me nervous.

I bundled myself up good and warm and driven like a granny on Sunday! It worked!! icon_biggrin.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your replies. I deliver stacked cakes all the time, it makes me very nervous.

I guess I don't trust her driving, not that I know her so it's nothing personal. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I have never doweled through a cake before. The whole idea of it scares me but I thought it may be necessary in this case.
How do you sharpen them?

Maybe I will see if she will pay a small delivery fee... icon_cool.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:34am
post #5 of 6

I use a dedicated pencil sharpener, then hammer it through. Goes in pretty easily.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:39am
post #6 of 6

Now, Lenette ..... If *I* can hammer a dowel in and keep my eyes open the whole time, then I know you can do it!! It works. It really does! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%