Lumps In My Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm by Deb_

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 7

I made a batch of MMF. I mix 1/2 and 1/2 with homemade gumpast. I have been using to model figurines out of. I noticed yesterday when I was using it that there were these litte lumps in it. It looks like powdered sugar, but I had sifted it prior to use. There was salt in the recipe. Could it be the salt causing this?

6 replies
282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 7

I too have this problem. I noticed that when kneading the longer I knead the less lumps I have. Usually there will be a couple left that I can just pick out. When I am kneading they come to the surface and I can get rid of them that way too. I just do the easy mmf recipe so I am not sure about the salt. My lumps are just powdered sugar.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 7

Could it be some of the gumpaste had dried? Gumpaste dries very fast around the edges and it wouldn't take much too cause little bumps in the mixture.

sheilabelle Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for thinking about the gumpaste drying faster. I never thought of that. I know that if you knead the gumpast you can bring it back (to a certain point). I'll have to try kneading the gumpaste to a really smooth consistency before incorporating it in with the fondant. THANKS!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 7

Did you allow it to sit a day before using it? I find that the next day the sugar lumps seem to dissolve but if I try to use it right away after mixing I see lumps.

sheilabelle Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, I do let it set for at least 1 day. Do you refrigerate the MMF. If not how long will it last?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 7

If I have any left over I refrigerate it, but my business kitchen is in my basement so it's cool down there. I make it, wrap it really well and leave it on the counter (which is stainless, so it's coldl). The next day I just knead it again until it's the smoothness/temp. that I need it to be to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%